Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

7 Posts

April 8th, 2013 07:00

Optiplex 360, LED 2&4, graphic card not working

Hi to everyone

I have a Dell Optiplex 360 computer which is not running, when i power up the computer it doesn't make any sound and the 2 & 4 diagnostic lights are on, also de power light is on. in the manual it describes that is a possible Graphic card error and that i have to try putting a new card. as the device only had the build-in VGA i bought a new one (GeForce 210 silent from ASUS) PCI-Express, but the computer dhows the same error codes that with the built-in Graphic card.

Any idea that what problem could be?

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 8th, 2013 21:00

You did connect the monitor to the new video card, correct?

With the new card installed, try clearing BIOS:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall battery (right-side-up!)
  6. See if it boots now, with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached

7 Posts

April 9th, 2013 05:00

Tried it and did'nt work.

i have the same trouble, for more hints, just pluging the computer makes it to switch on and show the lights... the Hard disc seems to start but just for a second... it doesn't make any "beep"...

any help?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 9th, 2013 13:00

What color is the power button, green (blue?) or amber? And is it same 2,4 light code?

Do I assume correctly this is a PCI-e x16 video card? Does this card exceed the graphics card specification of 25 Watts?

Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Carefully reseat the video card and other PCI cards in their slots. Also reseat the RAM modules in their slots.

How is the monitor connected to the video card? VGA, DVI...?

7 Posts

April 10th, 2013 07:00

Hi RoHe, the power button is green, both light codes are also green.

the video card is a PCI-e x16 and doesn't exceed 25 watts

i did all the unplugging again and still got the same error.

the monitor is connected via VGA

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 10th, 2013 12:00

Do we know the monitor works? And do we know the new video card works? Got a known working video card you can borrow from another system to test here?  

Unfortunately, I can't find BIOS setup screens online for this model, so I assume that installing an add-in video card automatically disables the on-board VGA.

I know you already did this, but try the "battery thing" again now that you've reseated all the cards and modules in their slots.

And I guess it's possible you have a motherboard failure... I've mentioned your issue to some of the forum regulars so maybe one of them has some additional suggestions.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 10th, 2013 13:00

Remove all ram.  Remove all cards in slots. Disconnect any cables INCLUDING POWER.  Remove battery.  

Hold power button on until the flea light goes out. Put in 1 Ram stick only. Then re attach power.  Then monitor to Onboard VGA.  Press power. What does the monitor say?

A possible graphics card failure has occurred.

• if the computer has a graphics card, remove the card, reinstall it, and then restart the computer.
  • If the problem still exists, install a graphics card that you know works and restart the computer.
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell.

Beep Codes

Your computer might emit a series of beeps during start-up if the monitor cannot display errors or problems. This series of beeps, called a beep code, identifies a problem. One possible beep code (code 1-3-1) consists of one beep, a burst of three beeps, and then one beep. This beep code tells you that the computer encountered a memory problem.

Reseating the memory modules may fix the beep code errors in the following table.

If the problem persists, see "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

Code

Cause

1-3-1 through 2-4-4

Memory not being properly identified or used

4-3-1

Memory failure above address 0FFFFh

If you hear one of the following beep codes, see "Contacting Dell"

in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

Code

Cause

1-1-2

Microprocessor register failure

1-1-3

NVRAM

1-1-4

ROM BIOS checksum failure

1-2-1

Programmable interval timer

1-2-2

DMA initialization failure

1-2-3

DMA page register read/write failure

3-1-1

Slave DMA register failure

3-1-2

Master DMA register failure

3-1-3

Master interrupt mask register failure

3-1-4

Slave interrupt mask register failure

3-2-2

Interrupt vector loading failure

3-2-4

Keyboard Controller Test failure

3-3-1

NVRAM power loss

3-3-2

NVRAM configuration

3-3-4

Video Memory Test failure

3-4-1

Screen initialization failure

3-4-2

Screen retrace failure

3-4-3

Search for video ROM failure

4-2-1

No time tick

4-2-2

Shutdown failure

4-2-3

Gate A20 failure

4-2-4

Unexpected interrupt in protected mode

4-3-3

Timer-chip counter 2 failure

4-3-4

Time-of-day clock stopped

4-4-1

Serial or parallel port test failure

4-4-4

Cache test failure

7 Posts

April 11th, 2013 05:00

after doing all you tell me the problem cointinues, i can't get to the BIOS screen because the computer doesn't start at all, also i don't receive any beep during the startup it seems that the machine doesn't reach that point during the startup.

it makes the same error with the inboard graphic card and with the other (probed and working) PCI-e VGA.

i'm starting to support the idea of the mainboard failure, it's only that i wanted to assure that point before throwing away the computer...

thanks to all

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 11th, 2013 11:00

Afraid I'm coming to the same conclusion - motherboard or CPU failure...

Before giving up, you may want to remove the heat sink and carefully reseat the CPU in its socket. You'd need to clean the old thermal paste off the CPU and heat sink, and then apply a thin fresh coat of paste (eg, Arctic Silver) before reattaching the heat sink.

7 Posts

April 11th, 2013 12:00

finally i have another 360 which was working properly and i have changed all the pieces (RAM and CPU basicly) and still have the same error, so i can tell the forensic team what the cause of death was...

does anybody know where i can get a new (or used) motherboard for this computer (i'm assuming that a regular socket 775 mb won't be usefull as i need to have the front panel connector....)

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 11th, 2013 13:00

You can look here and here.

Always ask if new, used, refurbished and about warranty. :emotion-5:

7 Posts

April 12th, 2013 06:00

Thanks to all for your help.

1 Message

January 20th, 2014 01:00

it worked, thanks so much, i have ma machine working again ..

No Events found!