Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 28th, 2012 09:00

Optiplex 390 Default factory hard drive partitions

Hi folks,

Does anyone know what the standard default hdd partitioning is on the optiplex 390? Do they have 3 primary partitions only (system/boot, os, recovery) taking up the whole dirve space, or 3 primaries plus a logical partition (possibly empty) taking up the whole drive space? Or other arrangement, if so what is it?

(ps. I know the partitioning can be changed by the end user, but thats not what I'm asking.)

Thanks, N

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 30th, 2012 08:00

The diag is the first partition. Its usually a hidden FAT16 partition of 50 to 100 Megs.  Then the Recovery partition 10 to 16 GIGS.  Then the rest of the Drive.  If you use a 16 GIG or larger USB Flash drive you can use the basic Dell Datasafe 2.0 to backup everything to the usb flash.  Once this is done the USB flash drive will be bootable and contain the Diag, Recovery, and OS factory install.  It can be booted from to repair and or re-image the system to a drive AT LEAST AS LARGE or larger than the one it backed up.  This means if you have a 500 gig drive it needs a 500 gig or larger up to 2TB drive to recover to.  You can even put in a new blank hard drive and boot from the flash and recover.

Article ID : 266301 Date Published : 2009-02-11 Journal ID : 02388764-2e0d-4b5d-bd2a-de051627a11a

Creating a Full System Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

1      Click  then click   All Programs, click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 and click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

2      Click   Back up your files  then select Full System Backup.

3      To backup immediately, click 

Backup Now 

To select the location to backup to, or to schedule regular backups, click  

Edit Plan 

and continue to the next step.

4      Select the location to save your backup to.

You can save your backups to your hard drive, to a rewritable CD/DVD using a CD/DVD burner, or to an external memory device like a 16 gig or larger USB memory key or USB hard drive. If an external device you want to save to is not listed, make sure it is plugged in securely then click  

Refresh 

Once your location is selected, click 

Next  

5      To create a backup immediately, select   I will manually backup my system and click 

Next  

To set a backup to be run at a later time, or to schedule a regularly occurring backup, click   Backup my system automatically (recommended) and specify the time and date(s) to run the backup then click 

Next  

6      To change any selections, click 

Back  

If you chose to schedule a recurring backup and would like to start an initial backup now, click   Start this backup now.

Once satisfied with your selections, click

Finish  

Additional Information: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

Refer to the following links for additional information on Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

What is Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0? Article ID: 353560

Creating Your System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353561

Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353562

Creating a Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353563

Restoring from a Backup Using DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353564

Upgrading To Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Professional Article ID: 353565

Frequently Asked Questions: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353566

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 30th, 2012 08:00

I don't normally even look at these when they come in, but I saw your question just as I was unpacking one; it is for a 790, but I don't see any reason why it would be any different:

No Events found!