Highlighted
2 Bronze

Optiplex 7010 memory question

Jump to solution

I just bought an Optiplex 7010 from Dell Outlet, and have a question.  The technical guidebook to the 7010 says that each of the four DIMM slots can handle up to 8GB memory modules, but then says the system maximum is only 16GB.  I know you must have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate to access more than 16GB. Provided you have that, can this motherboard handle over 16GB?  If I added two 8GB sticks to the 2X4GB already installed, would it work, or would the machine not function or only recognize 16GB of it? 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Optiplex 7010 memory question

Jump to solution

Well, I just answered my own question.  I bought 2 8GB sticks of the Kingston RAM meant for the 7010, sold by a number of places, including Dell, and added them to my system.  It works fine, and both BIOS and Windows shows 24GB installed.  I have no doubt 32GB should be fine, too.  

One critical caveat, though.  You must be using Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate to do this.  If your OS is Windows 7 Premium, only 16GB of RAM will be recognized.  

Dell needs to correct its erroneous documentation.  

View solution in original post

Highlighted
8 Xenon

RE: Optiplex 7010 memory question

Jump to solution

Hi dlsargeant,

That's interesting given that the Crucial and Kingston sites both say 4GB max modules.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Hi kbckbc,

I have verified the system specifications and found that the maximum memory that this computer supports is 16GB.

BIOS would recognize the memory cards installed in all the memory slots. But Operating system will only recognize 16GB and will not recognize the additional memory that is installed on the computer because of the architecture of the chipset.

Kindly revert and let me know for further clarifications.

Thanks and regards,
Madhur B
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

The Intel Q77 chipset can support up to 32GB RAM.  Windows Professional and Ultimate can support up to 128GB RAM.  The owners manual for the 7010 says it can support up to 32GB of RAM (page 55).  The Intel Q77 motherboards with four RAM slots all support 32GB, including the DQ77MK, which seems to be the motherboard the 7010 is at least based upon.  

At the very least, some of Dell's documentation seems to be in error

Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Hello,

This computer can support upto 16GB, providing the tech guide link for your reference, this link goto page 13:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_7010_technical_guidebook.pd

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Well, I just answered my own question.  I bought 2 8GB sticks of the Kingston RAM meant for the 7010, sold by a number of places, including Dell, and added them to my system.  It works fine, and both BIOS and Windows shows 24GB installed.  I have no doubt 32GB should be fine, too.  

One critical caveat, though.  You must be using Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate to do this.  If your OS is Windows 7 Premium, only 16GB of RAM will be recognized.  

Dell needs to correct its erroneous documentation.  

Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Hi kbckbc,

Thank you for your valuable feedback now we have a verified resolution for this upgrade. We would go ahead and forward this information to the product team and they can update it accordingly. We shall get the documents calibrated.

We would be glad working with you for any further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Madhur B
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I am glad I saw this post. You can still only build this system with 16GB of RAM max memory through Dell. The obvious reason is to get people to by the 9010 as the same build for a 7010 would be $100 cheaper with the same specifications.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Doesanyone have a recommendation for what 4 X8GB ram kit will work in Dell Optiplex7010 ? I tried a Corsair XMS34 x 8GB 1.5V kit and it only works at 1333MHz not the advertised 1600MHz.

The pre-installed  Samsung RAM seems to be 1.35V.   Is 1.35V RAM required?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Hello Portalseattle,

1600MHz memory will only perform as 1600MHz memory when 3rd generation (IVB) CPUs are used. It will perform as 1333MHz memory if 2nd generation (SNB) i3 2130, i3 2125, i3 2120, G860, G850 CPUs are installed in the system. It will perform as 1600MHz memory if 2nd generation (SNB) G640, G630, G540, G530, G460 CPUs are installed in the system.

Hope this helps! 

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I finally got memory to run at 1600 MHz.  I had to buy 1866MHz memory which now runs at 1666Mhz.  I am using Patriot  4X8GB PC3-15000 (1866MHz) PV1332G186COQK (blue color packaging)

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

sorry I meant to say it  runs at 1600MHz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

runs at 1600Mhz not 1666MHz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Hello Portalseattle,

Thank you for the update. Please write back to the forum if you have any further queries.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Pls let me know , My 7010MT are Samsung ram 4G/1600 Class11. I 'd like to upgrade all to kingston HyperX 4G/1600 class 9 (C9D3) OR Cousair Class 8/9 for 4 pcs. Is this work? Because I can not search ram class11 in thailand market IT store.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Having enquired with Dell I was also told that the OptiPlex 7010 supported a maximum of 16GB RAM. I pointed them in the direction of this discussion thread and then they enquired again with their technical department. Dell eventually confirmed that the Dell OptiPlex 7010 will support a maximum of 32GB RAM but only when running the 64-Bit version of Windows 7. The only proviso was that *if* the machine was still under warranty, they would not support any compatibility issues. I went ahead and purchased 4 x Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 RAM and just installed them in my 7010 (which has a Intel Generation 3 chipset) and it works perfectly. They are immediately recognized by the machine at startup and Windows is showing 31.9GB memory usable of 32GB max. (I would say that the documentation is not erroneous per-se, but it is certainly unclear - perhaps deliberately so, considering the comments about warranty.)
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Hi dlsargeant,

That's interesting given that the Crucial and Kingston sites both say 4GB max modules.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Osprey4, I guess they are only following the official guidance from Dell when they say max. 4GB per slot. I presume they are covering their backs in case a user is unwittingly running a 32-Bit version of Windows (which will only support max. 16GB). I'm no expert, but I tried prompting Dell about the nature of invalidating the warranty (for my machine it is already expired anyway), asking if the machine might overheat or something (I have the small form factor case), but they pushed that suggestion aside and did not think that overheating would be an issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

I was going to comment on that. Any 32-bit OS will not use more than about 4GB. I know of no OS situation that would limit a PC to 16GB, so I find it strange that they told you that.

As far as Crucial, they test these things and are usually more than happy to sell as much RAM as they've verified will work but maybe they're just going by Dell's specifications.

And no, more RAM should not cause anything to overheat, nor would the use of aftermarket parts invalidate the warranty, even for a brand new machine.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I can confirm the memory capacity is 32GB with Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit.

The computer came with 4GB x 2 DIMMs for a total of 8GB. I needed more.

Memory used was Kingston - DDR3 - 8 GB - DIMM 240-pin. I purchased 4 DIMMs (each 8GB, for a total 32GB)

• Manufacturer Part Number KTD-XPS730C/8G
  • DDR3
  • 8 GB
  • DIMM 240-pin
  • 1600 MHz / PC3-12800
  • unbuffered
  • non-ECC

www.cdw.ca/.../2871248.aspx

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Can confirm 32GB works.

Am running a Optiplex 7010 "Small Form Factor". Installed 2x of "G.Skill F3-1600C9D-16GXM".

Ran memtest for 3 days, currently using ubuntu linux 15.10 with cinnamon ui, no problems. I updated to the latest bios first fwiw.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I just got two 2 x 8GB RAM kits from Newegg (Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TLRED316G1600HC9DC01) and it shows up but only as 1333 MHz.  Is it true that some of you guys are getting full 1600 MHz speed with your kits?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi, what is the exact name of Kingston Hyper X? I have also an 7010 and would like to upgrade to 16gb.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mushkin Enhanced STEALTH 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997110S

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:       32827184     5609400     6599972     1457284    20617812    25039620

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

KTD-XPS730C/8G  1.5v

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro