Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2017 16:00

Optiplex 7040 - Latest USB 3 eXtensible Host Controller Driver v4.0.6.60 cause OS not to Boot

I used the Dell Command Update and the Dell Support page to locate the latest drivers.

Listed for the Optiplex 7040 was the USB 3 eXtensible Host Controller (See attached Image)

The version 4.0.6.60, A4 - Chipset_Driver_CWGRX_WN32_4.0.6.60_A4_01.EXE

If you check the detail info, the Optiplex is not listed as systems it covers.

Once I installed it I got the OS error "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause"

1 Attachment

• 

16.7K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 08:00

AaronCooper,

Start the computer and tap the F12 key. Enter Safe Mode and uninstall the driver or choose from the F12 List., Last Known Good Configuration.

February 2nd, 2017 08:00

I simply restored the Image, I use Ghost 3.1 as my Imaging tool. It was safer that way.

But I wanted to make Dell aware of the Issue, as others may download and update using this driver package.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 9th, 2017 10:00

Symantec Ghost does not support windows 8 or 10.  

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/ghost-15-windows-8-not-supported

Neither Dell nor Microsoft support imaging other than sysprep images.

Microsoft does not support the use of Sysprep to create images of an installation that has been upgraded.

Microsoft supports the use of Sysprep to create images of an installation that has been updated with a service pack.Production environment
Microsoft does not support the use of Sysprep for the following scenarios 

• To take a computer that has been running in production for extended period of time and run sysprep then create a new image or clone from the computer. Sysprep is designed to prepare new installations of Windows for imaging.
  • To run sysprep after imaging or cloning production computer for the purpose of changing the SID and computername to join the domain and make the computer unique.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314828/the-microsoft-policy-for-disk-duplication-of-windows-installations

22 Posts

February 9th, 2017 11:00

google 'driverpacksolution' and use it to update missing drivers

February 9th, 2017 12:00

I have a current USB 3 driver set for the Computer, but I do a update every quarter to keep systems updated and stable.

I was just trying to inform Dell of a possible issue with it's current USB 3.o version listed above.

February 9th, 2017 12:00

You are incorrect Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 3.x   www.symantec.com/.../ghost does support Windows 10.

The issue has nothing to do with the Imaging capture of deployment. Nor windows 10 as I am using Windows 7.

The issue was the USB 3.0 Driver package that was shown from both www.dell.com/.../19

And the Dell Command Update application would cause the system not to boot properly after  the Driver Update.

No Events found!