Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2008 07:00

Optiplex 740 - AMD - XP SP3

I've got some Optiplex 740 with XP SP2 installed and  i would install

the SP3 to test the performances with that installed.

On that PCs i've a AMD processor and i've read somewere that

there is some trouble with the system based on AMD.

Can you give a link to a SP3 tuned for AMD System or, al least to a

SP3 for the Optiplex 740??

Thanks in advance

INTESO

4.4K Posts

August 28th, 2008 08:00

All I can tell you is I've installed SP3 on two 740's with AMD processors with no problems whatsoever. There is no SP3 "tuned" for an AMD system.  There have indeed been some reports of problems, but I do not believe they will apply to your 740 based on my experience and other internet reports.  Best of luck.

6 Posts

August 28th, 2008 09:00

Hi... thanks for the tip..

did you have found a big increase

of performance after installed it?

or there is not a big difference??

I've read also the SP1 on Vista gives a real boost

to the system....

Thanks a lot... i'll try it in these days

INTESO

4.4K Posts

August 28th, 2008 10:00

No increase of performance noted.  These were security updates for the most part.

Vista SP1 didn't make much a difference either, on the couple machines I have with Vista, all of which are used in office settings.  I still prefer XP for a number of reasons.

December 30th, 2008 11:00

We purchased 30 of these machines and they have had network problems that cause the computer to hang. All are Windows XP. Microsoft blamed the problem on the NIC chipset, gave us a couple of work arounds to try, and we are now working with Dell to try to get the motherboards replaced on all 30 machines.

They also said there was a serious bug with the AMD CPU and gave us what they called a special patch to apply before going to SP3. We are holding at SP2 for now.

We have installed SP3 on one machine without applying the MS patch and have noticed no problems.

No Events found!