Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 14th, 2017 14:00

Optiplex 740, LP Nvidia GeForce G310, no image on monitor

I have a Dell Optiplex 740 (AMD Athlon Dual core 4850C 2.5GHz 4GB 250GB Windows 7 Pro). I install a Dell Low Profile Nvidia GeForce G310 512MB GDDR3 desktop video card. After I install it, I plug my monitor into the motherboard video out port,  not into the Nvidia GeForce G310 port. I then turn on my PC. I got a reading saying "graphic card detected".Turn my PC off, connect my monitor plug into my graphic card port and turn on my PC. So I didn't have the right size to my monitor and the graphic card port. So I buy a cheaper cable plug for my monitor that connected to the cable plug that connects to the graphic card. I turn it on and still saying no input or connection on my monitor. So do I need to replace my monitor or am I doing something wrong?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 14th, 2017 16:00

As you found out, the onboard video ports don't work when there's an add-in video card. So you have to connect the monitor to the add-in card.

Not sure what you mean by the "right size to my monitor". Are you talking about the ports (eg the connector plugs) or the size of the image on the screen?  You need to tell us what port on the video card (eg HDMI, DVI, VGA) and what port on the monitor you're using.  What adapter did you buy?

Did you: (a) install the right video card drivers for the new card;, (b) did you install the monitor's driver, if any; (c) are you using the "preferred" resolution setting for your specific monitor?

Does the monitor have its own "On-Screen Display" (OSD) menu that's accessed by pressing a button(s) on the monitor?  Is the OSD is set correctly to use whatever input port you're using on the monitor?

November 14th, 2017 19:00

What I mean the right size for my monitor port to the video card port.i think my plug is a VGA but it didn't come with cable or the wire that connected to the plug.Yes I got the right video card for my PC.My monitor was working when I install my video card in,then my monitor plug into the motherboard,then turn it on,then on my screen,it tells me video card detected.Turn off computer,plug in my monitor to the graphic card port,then turn on my PC.so I didn't have the right size plug itself for my monitor,so I went out and bought a used one,install the VGA plug not the cable or  wire that came with the plug.from the monitor plug to the VGA plug the VGA plug to the graphic card port,then I turn it on,still saying no input or no connection.Monitir drivers already install into my hard drive before I bought my graphic card

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 15th, 2017 10:00

Sorry, but I still don't understand...

Don't tell us what happened when you connected the monitor to the onboard video port. That's irrelevant. Only talk about how you connected the monitor to the new video card.

Answer these questions, in separate, simple sentences:

You bought a VGA adapter that looks like this?

You connected the adapter to the monitor's VGA port?

What port is on the other side of the adapter?

If your monitor has a VGA port and your video card has a VGA port, why do you need an adapter?

Exactly what ports are on your monitor and what's on the new video card?

I'm trying to help, so please be as clear and specific as you can be...

November 15th, 2017 10:00

Yes  one side of the VGA adapter has the VGA port .On the other side of the VGA adapter it has the digital video interface and my video card has the digital video interface.My monitor plug has the VGA port.I found it and bought VGA adapter at a thrift store but no cable or wire that came with it.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 15th, 2017 11:00

So is this the connection setup you have?

Monitor VGA port>VGA cable>VGA-to-DVI adapter>PC DVI port

Please make any corrections using my scheme if I still don't have it right.

Did  you check to see if the monitor has an On-Screen Display (OSD) and is it set to VGA?

Note: There are several different types of DVI ports and the adapter you bought may not work with all of them. Check both the adapter and the port on the video card and tell me which one is on the adapter and on the video card:

November 15th, 2017 11:00

November 15th, 2017 12:00

But thank you for the help

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

A little hard for me to see the pix clearly, but it appears that you have DVI-I (dual link) on the PC and DVI-D (single link) on the adapter. That may not work.

Even more important, it looks like -to me- that your adapter has a "monitor" symbol on the DVI side in your photo. That would mean it's for connecting a PC's VGA port to a monitor's DVI port. And that won't work with your hardware...

I sure hope the cable you ordered has the right kind of DVI connector for the DVI port on your video card!

Post back and let us know how it goes. And if you're desperate to get things working, pull the add-in video card out and use the PC's on-board VGA port again until you have the right connectors.

Yes me too because when I install my Dell GForce vedo card,then plug in my monitor that has a VGA port into the motherboard,it said graphic card detected,turn off my PC it computer,plug in my monitor into the graphic card  which I didn't do in the first in,then it said then runon my PC .which I'm a newbie when it comes to installed a video card.after I thought I did something belong,so I try again and my monitor stop working.so I thought I blew up my monitor

My monitor  port only has VGA port.I posted bunch of photos.Hopfully it will help and just  order a Dell DVI to DVI/VGA splitter cable  DP /N part number :ox2026/OWU329 like yesterday.Brand new

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 15th, 2017 15:00

You're welcome.

It's all a learning process... But now you know that (most) PCs turn off their onboard video ports when an add-in video card is installed. And you have to pay attention to all the different types of ports on PCs and monitors to make sure everything matches.

It's doubtful you damaged the monitor, but it's pretty old if it only has VGA. You'd get much better video output if you get a monitor that connects directly to what looks like an HDMI port on the new video card or to the DVI port on the video card.

After you get the monitor working with the video card, make sure you install the video driver for your new card, which may have come on a CD and/or with a link to download it.

That brings me to my last question: Why did you install the new video card if the monitor doesn't support any of the new/better video outputs on the card? I doubt DVI (video card)>VGA (monitor) is going to be better than VGA (PC)> VGA (monitor).

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 16th, 2017 08:00

The 740 will not work with Geforce 310.  The message he is getting is Unsupported Video Configuration.

There are no Standard cards that work or will EVER work.

The 740 has Nvidia 6150LE integrated Video with AMD CPU. 

The 740 has NON STANDARD UJ918 video slot for a DVI adapter that bridges to the motherboard.

Geforce 310 will never ever work.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-740-DVI-D-Video/dp/B00MW5JWPU

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 20th, 2017 11:00

WU329 DIVIDES DVI-I  INTO DVI-A VGA AND DVI-D DIGITAL.

November 20th, 2017 11:00

ok everyone remember i said before install a Dell Low Profile Nvidia GeForce G310 512MB GDDR3 desktop video card and i got no input or no connection on my monitor? guess what  that new Dell DVI to DVI / VGA Splitter Cable DP/N Part Number: 0X2026 / 0WU329 ,i  hook it up from my video card to my monitor and it works great.Thanks for the help

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 20th, 2017 13:00

ok everyone remember i said before install a Dell Low Profile Nvidia GeForce G310 512MB GDDR3 desktop video card and i got no input or no connection on my monitor? guess what  that new Dell DVI to DVI / VGA Splitter Cable DP/N Part Number: 0X2026 / 0WU329 ,i  hook it up from my video card to my monitor and it works great.Thanks for the help

No Events found!