Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2007 09:00

Optiplex 745 USB to PS2 adaptor

I have an Optiplex 745, I am trying to use USB to PS2 adaptor. 

After installation they seem to work for a while then the PC fails to boot into XP properly.  It gets past the XP logo screen then the screen goes blank.  I can only boot into safe mode.

I also tried an XP repair, I am unable to input anything during setup (no keyboard and mouse after the 'installing devices' part, ok before that!).  After the failure I have not been able to use USB keyboard & mice either!

I have tried Videk & Belkin adaptors. 

The issue does not seem to be OptiPlex hardware, I am seeing the same issue on 3 PCs.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Message Edited by apnet on 06-13-2007 05:57 AM

Message Edited by apnet on 06-13-2007 05:58 AM

101 Posts

June 13th, 2007 15:00

I had odd behaviour after my system was upgraded from a GX150 to a GX620 and I was trying to use a USB-to-PS2 converter for my Ergonomic keyboard and mouse, but the mouse would freeze and other odd things. I ended up getting a new USB keyboard and mouse and those work fine.

You could contact sales and look into the PS2 bracket/add-in card option for the 745.

34 Posts

June 14th, 2007 20:00

Dennis,

If I am not mistaken the PS/2 adapter requires the second serial port SER2 kit with the ribbon cable, mounting bracket and RS-232 connector. Don't know if it's the same Dell # if you are just adding the second serial port.

This only gives you 1 PS/2 port correct?

I am waiting on my 745 Desktop to arrive.  I have an active PS/2 KVM switch connecting to my other P.C.'s and am hoping the PS/2 to USB adapter will allow me to connect to the 745 via my KVM switch!

If it dosen't I'll have a big problem.

Ken

3 Posts

June 15th, 2007 06:00

Fixed.

Still don't know the root cause, but the problem is the Dell OEM install of XP.  After a reinstall from a corp disk all is fine.

I had the same issue on 4 brand new OptiPlex 745's.

Its ok re-formatting if you have a few machines but if you buy in bulk or have to install an adapter to an OEM built PC after setup, it could be a real hassle.

Even the manufacturer of the adapter (Videk & Belkin) had never seen this issue before. 

I wasted 2 days on this problem, the solution is either really simple or not!!

3 Posts

June 15th, 2007 06:00

DELL-Dennis,

I wonder if removing drivers would have helped you ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539).

I did contact Dell, they were clueless!  As far as they were concerned the problem was not their PC.

Message Edited by apnet on 06-15-2007 02:31 AM

34 Posts

June 15th, 2007 10:00

Bronze,

So how did you finally resolve the problem?

I think I am going to have the same issues.

Thanks

No Events found!