Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2008 17:00

Optiplex 755 Media Card Reader questions

Hi all,

Our organization recently ordered several hundred Optiplex 755 systems, with the internal 3.5" media card readers.  We need to have a number of drive mappings on these systems, and we need to be specific with the letters, so I have changed the drive letters (under Windows XP management console) of the media card slots.

When I do this, each slot reverts from having the custom drive description and icon provided by the driver software to "Removable Disk Drive X:" (or other drive letter) with the generic icon provided by Windows.  This can make it really confusing for our users to know which drive interface matches which card slot.  I have tried doing a repair install of the driver software; it doesn't fix the problem.  I have tried an uninstall and reinstall of the software; this actually removes all the media card readers, so when it is reinstalled, it reassigns the drive letters to ones other than what I've chosen, so I'm back to where I started.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can change the drive letters to what I want, while keeping the custom icons and descriptions?  Any help is sincerely appreciated. 

August 7th, 2008 16:00

TweakXP sounds like the answer you're looking for ...
No Events found!