Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 13:00

Optiplex 755 SFF after upgrade - how much extra power is left for the CPU or another drive?

Hi,

some time ago I've bought Dell Optiplex 755 SFF.

It was working quite well but I wanted to give it some gaming power so I added Sapphire Radeon 7750 Low Profile with Power Consumption around 43W at load.

So the current specs are:

• E7500
  • 4GB DDR2 RAM
  • Sapphire Radeon 7750 Low-Profile
  • WD Sata HDD
  • BIOS ver. A22

I've found recently that some Quad Cores work on this Dell so I became interested in such upgrade.

The thing is my CPU is 65W TDP and most Quad Cores are 95W TDP.. Given that I use dedicated GPU and the PSU is the builtin one I guess there is no much space left for improvement. There are Quad Cores with S in their symbols (like Q9550S) that are stated to have 65W TDP so it would be a much safer way to upgrade, but those CPUs are hard to find in Poland (that's where I live).

I was also thinking about adding a SSD drive in place of the DVD but I'm having the same doubts as in the case of 95W TDP CPUs - there might be not enough power during heavy load for the PSU to work in stable way.

Has anyone tried any similar combination with success? Or is there any way to upgrade the PSU to provide more power?

Thanks for answering my questions.

No Responses!
No Events found!