Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2009 10:00

Optiplex 760 DisplayPort to HDMI Video..No Sound

Evening All,

I'm wondering if someone could help me with a problem I have with my 760.

I have rebuilt the machine with Windows 7 and I am trying to using DisplayPort for video and audio.

The video part of it works great, the Intel TV wizzard picks up hte TV with no problems, but the SoundMAX audio does not work.

I've tried the Vista drivers and the Win 7 Drivers to no avail, and the DP converter i have works great with my E6400 so i know that they are working ok.

I have noticed that the Jack Sensing isn't picking up the DP HDMI connection..is this just a driver problem or a codec problem or is it that there is no audio carried to HDMI with the 760's?

I really hope someone can help me with this as it's driving me up the wall.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2009 16:00

From what I see in the Dell manual the "display port" is just that a port for a display.  The only link that carries both video and audio is an HDMI link and you would need a video card that had both video output and had a sound module built on the Video card for the audio generation.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2009 12:00

If you did a complete new install, the required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel motherboard drivers (3) Install device drivers such as the Dell sound drivers, video, ethernet, etc.  DO NOT allow Windows to install sound drivers. 

Dell has both Win 7 32 bit and 64 bit drivers on the downloads, you should be using the Dell drivers.  HERE

112 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 12:00

It may not be safe to assume that the display port even carries audio in the first place, especially if you know that DP-to-HDMI adapter to be working on another system. Both HDMI and DisplayPort specs list the audio stream as optional, so it's possible that they didn't impliment it.

Also, I don't think Soundmax has anything to do with it. I believe that's for the regular onboard audio. You should have some other device like "DisplayPort Audio Transport" or something like that, if it does in fact carry audio over the DisplayPort.

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 13:00

HI there,

ITo be honest I assumed that all Dell DisplayPorts carried audio and video...i'll give Dell a call tomorrow and see if they know if this build does...thanks for the heads up really appreciate it.

I've also looked at all of the device drivers and there are a number of Windows installed drivers...i'll go through them and updated them to the Dell Drivers and give that a ao...thanks again for the advice it's greatly apprecaited.

October 12th, 2011 20:00

I have confirmed the following:

Carries no audio on Displayport DP

Optiplex 760 & 780

FYI - Soundmax Intergrated HD 198X Audio

I wish Dell would not have left this out. The Small Form Factors (SFF & USFF) would have made a great media box if audio was carried through Display Port. Looks like you need to purchase a low profile 3rd party Video card.

Carries audio over displayport DP

Optiplex 990

FYI - Realtek HD Audio onboard

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 08:00

Does anyone have any idea whether nowadays there is a way make the DP to carry audio 

April 23rd, 2013 09:00

Hi bukibalama,

Both audio and video signals are carried by Display ports having DP++ standards. However, Dell Optiplex 760 is limited by Display port's hardware capabilities and can only carry video signal over the display port. I researched and was unable to find a workaround for the same. You may refer to the DP Audio User Guide Here.

Hope this helps. please reply if you have any further questions.

1 Message

June 30th, 2015 06:00

I don't know about making the non-audio DP to carry audio, but using the DVI splitter from the adapter you can add a converter that takes the DVI and audio and enables a true HDMI output.  These run about $65 now with discount pricing.  You might find a cheaper alternative by adding an HDMI adapter to the Optiplex 760 instead.  The MSI R5450-MD1GD3H/LP graphics card - Radeon HD 5450 - 1 GB is advertised on CDW for $33.

No Events found!