Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2014 02:00

Optiplex 760 Fatal:divide by zero

I've an optiplex 760, changed my HD to 2T one. Win 7 64 refused to complete installation over 10 times. Discovered that I should change the achi into either legacy or ata to correctly install it. I clicked F12 after rebooting it gave a black screen with a window containg the following message

"Fatal: Divide by zero exception occurred at sector 18 physical offset 4ec75 map file offset 1c015  ....... last valid EIP map file offset FFFCD440h"

I don't know how to deal with this problem anyone does?

Kind regards 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 11th, 2014 10:00

Hi icqseeker,

Let me go back. You had the SATA mode set to AHCI, and you say the Win 7 installation did not complete. So were you able to start the installation, and at what point did it fail?

18 Posts

February 13th, 2014 04:00

Hi Osprey4

I'm able to start installation, it stops at the very last step "completing installation" giving a message says "windows installation can't configure windows on the hardware".

the new HD is a WD 2T. the old one was also WD 32 G.

Finally I thought of getting into the setup to change the sata setting to legacy or ata, although I think that it won't change anything as I'm not installing it on the old HD. 

found that the setup menu does not open, instead giving me this message:

" Fatal: Dividing by zero exception occurred at selector 18 physical offset 4ec75 map file ofset 1c0b5.

EAX=c100de00hebx=ffffffd1hecx= ....... etc.

last valid EIP map file offset FFFCD440h."

I ran a full diagnostic check, everything came out OK.

Any idea about this problem?

Kind regards

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 13th, 2014 11:00

Ok, there are a couple potential problems. If you have a 32GB SSD mSATA drive, it cannot be used for the OS, only as a cache. Did you have the OS installed on the 32GB drive?

That error, "Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware", might be a mismatch between the SATA controller mode and the installed driver, or the drive was partitioned incorrectly. See this article for information.

18 Posts

February 13th, 2014 18:00

Hi OSPAEY4

I downloaded the drivers, the windows installation tells me that these are not compatible with the hardware of the PC.

My chipset  is "Intel® Q43 Express Chipset w/ICH10D". I tried to find the proper files, didn't succeed til now.

Do you know which file that can update my chipset to be able to see RAID work properly?

Kind regards

18 Posts

February 16th, 2014 14:00

My new HDD is a 2TWD manufactured at Dec 2013.

I searched for the drivers on the MS sites & installed them. still the same problem. but now the installation stops after loading win 7 files & starting it up giving this message

"setup was unable to create a new partition or locate an existing system partition. see setup log files for more information."

I still get the same "Fatal: Divide by zero ..., " every time I try to get into the setup menu.

Any idea what to try next? :emotion-43:

Kind regards

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 16th, 2014 14:00

Here are the drivers for your system.

Please follow the Windows installation guide I linked to below for information on how to load the RAID drivers, install the OS and install the system drivers.

18 Posts

February 17th, 2014 13:00

Hi OSPREY4

I'm working all the holiday around it & I already had these files, I tried to install them during windows installation, using "Load Driver" option. However, it didn't see them. I then unchecked the box that excludes the noncombatable  files to show all the files. the "f6flpy-x64" and "f6flpy-x86" unzipped files appeared. I installed them all through "Load Driver" option.

As a consequence the install process now stops after windows files are copied, before the 1st. step of install process ends giving this message:

"setup was unable to create a new partition or locate an existing system partition. see setup log files for more information."

The problem is I still get into the setup menu, the same old message appears "Fatal: Divide by zero ..., ".  Is there anyway around it?

Kind regards

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 17th, 2014 13:00

Did you format the new hard drive before attempting to install Windows?

18 Posts

February 17th, 2014 14:00

Hi ROHE

Yes, I did  ntfs 4k based (not 512). cause it's a 2Tera WD.

Any idea about how to enter the setup or  change  the driver option to ATA?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 17th, 2014 17:00

If you change to ATA, Win 7 probably won't install SATA drivers and then you've lost the advananges of Inteil Rapid Storage Technology on a huge hard drive.

Have you tried clearing BIOS?

1. Power off and unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall battery (right-side-up!)
  6. Close the case

You might want to start over with a clean reformat of the hard drive, case there was a problem when you formatted it the first time. Then see if you can install Win 7 again.  BTW: Are you sure BIOS on this system can handle a 2T hard drive with a only single partition?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 18th, 2014 16:00

I know zero about installing Linux so can't help with that.

I wonder if you have a RAM failure. You could download (free) memtest86+ v5.01 and create a bootable CD to test the RAM, here.

And I suppose you might have either a motherboard or CPU failure... :emotion-41:

18 Posts

February 18th, 2014 16:00

Hi ROHE

I did. However, still having the same problem, "Fatal: divide by zero ...", & still can't enter the setup menu either.

About the HDD, I'm using a 2T WD one when I installed Win 7 , I noticed that it did not partitioned the whole HDD it only does 4 partitions including the 100MB system reserved. So I used a program "AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro Edition 5.5" to format the & divide the HDD & checked it for errors as well.

I also used the HD on an older PC having a gigabyte 931 MB, which is older than my optiplex 760 one.

Everything went smoothly well & the Win7 was installed & worked fine. That's why I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the MB.

This night, I tried to install UBUNTO 13, LINUX OS. everything went OK at the end I got a message that the boot loader failed to install !

Now, I'm confused don't know how to fix this problem "Installing the Boot Loader" on either system.

Kind regards

18 Posts

February 20th, 2014 13:00

Dear ROHE

if there is a problem with the Ram, the pc would "Beep" once the power is on.

I also found out that I'm not having a MB failure as well.

I installed the open source OS "Ubunto" & everything went smoothly fine. This means that the problem is in Win 7 , can't handle the 2T HDD. Consequently started causing PC troubles.

Anyway, many thanks for your care.

Now, I'm investigating my new world trying to find out how to install the programs I need on my pc.

Kind regards    :emotion-1:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 21st, 2014 10:00

Is it possible you have a defective Windows 7 Reinstallation disk?

BTW: The system might not beep if RAM was defective... It would beep only if the POST detects the error.

18 Posts

February 22nd, 2014 04:00

I don't think the software I've is corrupt, as I installed it on my other PC.

PS. I still have the same problem, can't enter the setup menu, but the Ubuntu was able to bypass this problem & boot my PC smoothly.

Still not sure about the cause or the solution of the problem. However, happy that my 2-3 weeks of suffering came to an end.

I'm willing to learn, if I find the cause & solution.

Kind regards :emotion-2:

No Events found!