alistairjl
1 Copper

Optiplex 760 MT Power Supply Upgrade

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I'd like to run a decent graphics card in my Dell Optiplex 760 Mini Tower, but my power supply doesn't have the wattage or connectors to do it.

I'm a bit confused as to what would fit - does anyone know?

Thanks

Alistair.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
alistairjl
1 Copper

Re: Optiplex 760 MT Power Supply Upgrade

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I've done it! I hunted around and got in touch with a few companies about replacing the power supply and ended up buying a power supply from a company called PC Power who were able to confirm the suitability after I raised a support ticket with them. The PSU I purchased is http://www.pcpower.com/products/description/Silencer_500_Dell/index.html

I installed the psu in my Optiplex 760 mini tower last week and the PC has been working quite happily. It is very quiet and the only caveat I would add is that in a mini tower case there are a lot of cables to manage from the Power Supply as it provides a lot more options than the standard PSU.

Very happy with the machine - running a more powerful nvidia card.

Regards

Alistair.

delugeia
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have an Optiplex 760 (mini tower) and successfully replaced my power supply with a 630w supply from ATX Power Supplies.  And then replaced the video card with an "ATI Radeon HD 5770 Single Slot" from XFX (via TigerDirect).  Everything seems to be working well for me.

Enjoy!

6 Replies
Highlighted
alistairjl
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I've done it! I hunted around and got in touch with a few companies about replacing the power supply and ended up buying a power supply from a company called PC Power who were able to confirm the suitability after I raised a support ticket with them. The PSU I purchased is http://www.pcpower.com/products/description/Silencer_500_Dell/index.html

I installed the psu in my Optiplex 760 mini tower last week and the PC has been working quite happily. It is very quiet and the only caveat I would add is that in a mini tower case there are a lot of cables to manage from the Power Supply as it provides a lot more options than the standard PSU.

Very happy with the machine - running a more powerful nvidia card.

Regards

Alistair.

datahog
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

emoticon.BigSmile.title I run the ati radeon 5570 on mine.even though it sugest a 400 wat power suply it does not draw much power at all,it runs so cool you should not have any trouble with fring the card.

[:)] Dell Optiplex 755 USFF 4Gig Ram,500 Gig HD,E-8400 C2D Cpu,AIO Monitor Dell 2007wfp

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit.

delugeia
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have an Optiplex 760 (mini tower) and successfully replaced my power supply with a 630w supply from ATX Power Supplies.  And then replaced the video card with an "ATI Radeon HD 5770 Single Slot" from XFX (via TigerDirect).  Everything seems to be working well for me.

Enjoy!

alistairjl
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Something I struggled with is cable management - the PSU I bought has cables that would fit a full sized tower, meaning I've got one of my empty drive bays full of cable - a bit annoying as the motherboard has excellent multiple disk support.

Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
bdcampbell
1 Copper

RE: Optiplex 760 MT Power Supply Upgrade

Jump to solution

Thank you for your post. I have ordered the power supply you recommended and will install to drive the new graphics card I bought.

Cheers, Bruce

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

RE: Optiplex 760 MT Power Supply Upgrade

Jump to solution

Modular versions allow you to not install cables you don't use.

The ones I can find in the store now are CS Series.

ATX12V v2.4 and EPS 2.92 Corsair CS Series
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Modular-Efficient-CS750M/dp/B00GH9NA0A

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cs-series-modular-cs750m-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos