Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2009 03:00

Optiplex 760 freezing

New (~2 months) Optiplex 760 has started freezing apparently at random.

XPPro SP3 fully patched. A03 Bios. Connected to internet  via Netgear 811draft n card and DG34N router, with D-link switch and ReadyNasV+ on system.

IE8; MSOffice 2003;McAfee

All ideas gratefully received...

Andrew

22 Posts

December 8th, 2009 02:00

Steve,

I'm just getting a freeze - the system just hangs and won't do anything until I recycle the power- not a reboot, but again there's nothing in the event log...

Andrew

12 Posts

December 9th, 2009 01:00

Try unplugging the DVD drive (both cables) and see what happens. Whilst the problems I've directly been experiencing have been reboots, colleagues who work in the libraries here have been having that exact problem of it freezing.

So far for my machnes the firmware update for the DVD drive appears to have resolved it, but its still early days and we've still got a fairly high-level call open with Dell about the actualy firmware update exectuable being rather buggy.

Steve.

22 Posts

December 14th, 2009 06:00

OK - I've tried unplugging the drive and un-enabling it in the BIOS - and this produces regular freezes.........

In the system error log I've found an error 9:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period, and googling gave me:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3001912.php

and:

http://www.technologyquestions.com/technology/windows-xp/107922-windows-xp-device-device-ide-iastor0-did-not-respond.html

then on http://www.atomice.com/blog/:

Solving intermittent hangs with Intel SATA Controller

Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller
I upgraded my new PC from Windows XP to Windows Vista. After doing so I noticed the PC would intermittently hang. The hard disk light would stay lit for a while then go out, then the computer would resume. In the System Event Log I found this message:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Searching on Google I found this article on Intel’s website:
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/cs-025783.htm
The article suggests upgrading to the latest version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers should solve the problem. It didn’t. However I noticed this paragraph in the article:

Because the setup change means that LPM is enabled by default for all Windows Vista platforms, using a device that does not completely follow the specification may result in one of the listed issues.

I found the registry settings for the iaStor and iaStorV drivers at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV\Parameters
Then for each port (Port0, Port1, etc.) I changed the LPM and LPMDSTATE values from 1 to 0. This solved the problem.

I'm off to try this....

Andrew

12 Posts

December 14th, 2009 07:00

Lets hope this fixes it!

Thanks for the detailed info on it.

Steve.

22 Posts

December 14th, 2009 07:00

OK, I've plugged the CD/DVD in again, and re-enabled it in the BIOS. I've installed the newest active matrix drivers from the Dell site, as well as the Active Matrix manager, and I've edited the keys at HKLM\system\controlsetx\iastor\paremeters from LPMDSTATE=1 to 0, where x =1 to 3. All the other keys were at 0 already.

So far OK - earlier today the machine was crashing every 90 minutes.

Andrew

1 Message

February 6th, 2010 08:00

It has been more than a month now. Has this solved the freezing problem? That would be great news because I am having the same issue. Thanks!

22 Posts

February 6th, 2010 09:00

I'm not sure if this is what fixed it, or whether at the same time I changed the Netgear W311B wireless card for a direct connection.....

Andrew

12 Posts

February 7th, 2010 06:00

I'm not sure if this is what fixed it, or whether at the same time I changed the Netgear W311B wireless card for a direct connection.....

Andrew

I would anticipate it being the Intel stuff, purely because it is known to cause these problems according to google. Just for info, we are currently upgraded the DVD firmware to A103 on the machines which are rebooting. The second batch of machines which were freezing (using a different image for student pc's) aren't getting this update and are just getting the SATA mode change in the BIOS to 'Legacy IDE'.

After a month or so we're now happy that all our machines are back to being stable, but I'll definately be keeping an eye out for them in relation to the Intel drivers.

SteveP.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2010 10:00

Late fall we purchased 15- 760's and almost all have exhibited this "freezing" usually after an extended idle period of over an hour, and particularly overnight.  We image the computers as soon as we receive them and run XP Pro SP3 on most of these machines. Some are at SP2 because of some of the software we run.  Bios was upgraded from 3 to 5 as soon as we received them, then up to 6 when it came out. We're a small staff and don't have time for extensive troubleshooting so we started switching out the mice- replacing the brand new Dell laser mouse with older (used)  standard Dell optical mice. The problem has abated on every one that we've replaced the mouse on. I'm going to contact Dell to see if there's a special mouse driver?

1 Message

February 24th, 2011 03:00

Our optiplex 760 are freezing when the monitor switches into energy saving mode. They are equipped with a DVI-Slot-Extension card but also have an onboard DisplayPort.

When i use the DP with a DP to DVI-Adapter the freezing stops.

Before i tried this, i updated the BIOS to the newest version (A09 i think) and the Graphic card.

Maybe this is helpful  for some of you.

March 18th, 2013 12:00

Issue Fixed

I had 8 Dell Optiplex 760 running Windows XP with Symantec EP in a network domain environment, that would freeze up randomly. I read through several forums and threads. The only thing the stopped the freezing was updating the drivers to the latest version. Go to the dell support website (www.dell.com/.../optiplex-760) and download and install the following updates (verify the release date to make sure you are downloading the latest driver):

BIOS (latest version A15)

INTEL CHIPSET

HECI CHIPSET

AMT SOL/ LMS CHIPSET

VIDEO

This has permanently fixed the freezing issue for me. You may also want to check device manager to verify that you are not missing any drivers.

No Events found!