If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
RickHod
2 Bronze

RE: Optiplex 760

Jump to solution

I have a Dell OptiPlex 760 with OM858N motherboard (Intel chipset Q45/Q43), and a Wolfdale Intel e7300 that apparently doesn't support 64 bit thru the BIOS (A16), so I'm looking to upgrade to an e8000 series Duo Core 2 processor and need some advice on which processor to go purchase and how to get this so the BIOS will allow virtualization so I can have 64 bit capabilities.

Help appreciated!

Thanks - Rick

0 Kudos
speedstep
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)  is supported on Optiplex all the way back to the GX620 with Pentium D 960  2006.

VT-d is not guaranteed on ANY of the core series.  Not sure what you mean by 64 bit not supported because that too goes back to EMT64 as early as 2005.  None of these systems is a VMWARE ESX server with XEON processors.

http://ark.intel.com/products/36463/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E7300-3M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) 

This feature may not be available on all computing systems. Please check with the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature, or reference the system specifications (motherboard, processor, chipset, power supply, HDD, graphics controller, memory, BIOS, drivers, virtual machine monitor-VMM, platform software, and/or operating system) for feature compatibility. Functionality, performance, and other benefits of this feature may vary depending on system configuration.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

shesagordie
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

I have a Dell OptiPlex 760 with OM858N motherboard (Intel chipset Q45/Q43), and a Wolfdale Intel e7300 that apparently doesn't support 64 bit thru the BIOS (A16), so I'm looking to upgrade to an e8000 series Duo Core 2 processor and need some advice on which processor to go purchase and how to get this so the BIOS will allow virtualization so I can have 64 bit capabilities.

Help appreciated!

Thanks - Rick

RickHod

Wolfdale Dual Core E8400, 3.0GHz, 6MB, 65W, E0, 1333FSB
Wolfdale Dual Core E8500, 3.16GHz, 6MB, 65W, E0, 1333FSB
Wolfdale Processor E8600, 3.33GHz

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos