Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 17th, 2017 07:00

Optiplex 780 has an inconsistent problem

I am a student at an IT networking school.  Each of got a PC to work with and with my luck I got the problem one.  At the beginning of the year it was working fine when all of the sudden it began to act up.  The computer was very slow to get past the BIOS startup screen.  I checked the system configuration and eventually removed the CMOS battery and fixed the problem.  After that it worked for a while.  Then it got caught in a startup loop.  Sometimes I would get past the BIOS screen and sometimes it would bring me to a blue troubleshooting screen before restarting a few seconds later.  Eventually I reinstalled Windows Server 2012 RS.  When I first loaded it up it gave me a blue screen with a dump file listed.  I exited out and searched around but wasn't able to find much.  The next time I started up it gave me an amber power light with blinking 1 and 2 indicators.  The strange thing is it does not always do this.  Some times it starts up and works fine but some times I get the amber light and blinking indicators.  I've looked around but I haven't really found anything.  I think it is likely a loose connection since it only gives the error some of the time.  I have no idea what is wrong and I could really use some help.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 17th, 2017 08:00

Here are the 2009 Optiplex 780 Service Manuals. You need to open it up, blow out all dust in fans, reseat every card, memory, cable, etc. Then retest. If still no go, consider disassembling the CPU heatsink from the CPU. Clean off the thermal paste. Apply new thermal paste. Reassemble and retest.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 17th, 2017 10:00

You might want to start by replacing the motherboard battery.

You said clearing BIOS by removing the battery helped, so it sounds like BIOS settings might be getting scrambled if the battery is too weak to hold them.

CR2032 3-volt coin cell, ~$2 at discount stores.

If nothing else, you'll quickly rule the battery out...

No Events found!