Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 19th, 2017 16:00

Optiplex 790 won't boot with Drobo Mini attached

I just picked up a used Drobo Mini.  It works fine.  However, last night I did a system backup and instructed AOMEI to restart the PC when finished.  This morning I found the PC appearing lifeless.  Nothing on the display, and only the steady blue power button and diagnostic lights 1, 3 & 4 lit (this seems to indicate:

"A possible system board resource and/or hardware failure has occurred.   

• Clear CMOS.
  • Disconnect all internal and external peripherals, and restart the computer. If the computer boots, add the peripheral cards back one by one until you find the bad one.
  • If the problem persists, the system board / system board component is probably bad."

I unplugged the USB cable from the Drobo and the PC started up fine, and after connecting the Drobo, it also works fine.  I did a Google search and couldn't find any results with the same symptom.

PC and Drobo are both updated with the latest drivers and firmware.

Any ideas?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 19th, 2017 19:00

Sounds like the PC was trying to boot from the Drobo, which it can't...

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Make sure the boot hard drive is first in the Boot Sequence. And you may also have to disable USB Boot Support in BIOS setup too if you want to keep Drobo connected all the time..

Don't change anything else, but save the changes -if any- to the Boot Sequence and USB Boot Support.

6 Posts

December 20th, 2017 07:00

I should have clarified that in my original post -- that was my initial thought as well, so I even disabled USB as a boot option.  In further testing, I found that I was unable to boot with even a recovery media USB stick inserted, but by that time it was late and I needed to get some sleep.  This morning before work I was thinking about it some more and wondered if another USB device was causing issues.  I unplugged all USB devices and left the recovery media inserted and Windows did start booting, but since I was on my way to work, I shut it back down and will continue when I return home.  Right now, my bigger problem is recovering my SSD.  While researching this issue, I came across a KB entry on the Drobo site that suggested that having legacy support enabled in BIOS may cause a Windows system to fail to boot.  I needed to convert my boot drive from MBR to GPT, and one of the only ways to do that without wiping it and starting over was to use a utility such as Partition Assistant Pro from AOMEI.  After converting, and switching to UEFI in BIOS, the system doesn't want to boot to my drive.  Gotta love technology...

6 Posts

December 20th, 2017 12:00

It is W10, and I do believe it's had the Creators update.  I'll have to check that out -- thanks for that!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 20th, 2017 12:00

What version of Windows is this?

The Win 10 Creators Update has the MBR2GPT utility that lets you convert an MBR drive to GPT without wiping and reformatting.  

docs.microsoft.com/.../mbr-to-gpt

No Events found!