Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2016 11:00

Optiplex 9010 Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx) option disappears after selecting from BIOS.

Hi All, 

Tried to find a similar issue in the forums first. Forgive me if I this is a repeat afterall. 

I got an Optiplex 9010 I7-3770 SFF (VPro) used desktop recently to put into my cloud in the lab. Normally I simply check the cover again (AMT #1) and move on with the MBEx selection after F12 during boot. This one is not working as expected. Here is the sequence of events:

1. Power on the computer and F12 to get the boot options/list. 

2. I can see the Intel Management Engine BIOS Extensions option there. I select and press ENTER. 

3. Screen disappears, but comes back now "without" the Intel Management Engine BIOS Extensions option! At the top is states that "Note, some options have been removed as they are no longer valid.".

I have not seen this before. IF it is disabled, why show it... 

But in any case, the question I have is, how can I get this option to work so I can provision this box using Intel AMT/MBEx settings. The machine is enabled for MBEx (AMT #1 on the inside chasis cover). 

The BIOS revision for this box is A14. I may need to update it as well. Though I am going to wait for any responses before doing so. 

Thank you all. 

9.4K Posts

December 13th, 2016 04:00

Hi erdalg,

Thanks for posting.

Is it possible that the processor or the motherboard may not be compatible?

http://dell.to/2gvPYmv

Note: The Intel ME configuration procedures described in this guide are part of the
larger Intel®vPro™ technology activation and provisioning process. These
configuration procedures can vary significantly (or be performed automatically)
and depend on which third-party management console you are using. See the
Related Documentation section of this guide (section 1.5) for a list of Intelauthored
provisioning guides that are specific to several popular management
consoles. These provisioning guides provide the end-to-end process for
provisioning your Intel®vPro™ computers with the specified management
console, and may or may not include references to the Intel ME manual
configuration procedures in this guide (depending on which provisioning model is
used).

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 13th, 2016 06:00

When the number for the manageability mode is entered and confirmed, it is unable to be changed. If the incorrect manageability mode is selected, it is possible the system board must be replaced depending on the option selected.

This is a one time selection.

Article ID : 52060 Date Published : 2007-09-05 Journal ID : d2fe9d65-b1a0-4fd7-b75c-52e4b9862f38

Manageability Mode Options on Replacement System Boards for the OptiPlex™ 755

The OptiPlex™ 755 has one system board per chassis available for dispatch. The system board is shipped in manufacturing mode and the end user or service provider must select the manageability option upon first boot. There are four manageability options that might be seen on the customer order according to the original configuration purchased.

For information on what manageability options were configured when the system was originally shipped, refer to Table 1

Label   SKU Part Number Description
Basic Systems Management Mode
1 vPro
AMT
DASH Ready
310-9491 CU245 Short: Advanced Client Systems Management,w/vPro,OPTI
Long: Advanced Client Systems Management,with vPro,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Advanced Client Systems Management (w/ vPro)
MOD MOD,LBL,MGMT,VPRO/AMT/DASH
1 AMT
DASH Ready
310-9494 HP413 Short: Advanced Client Systems Management,w/iAMT,OPTI
Long: Advanced Client Systems Management,with iAMT,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Advanced Client Systems Management (w/ iAMT)
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,AMT/DASH,OPTI
2 ASF Only 310-9492 CU377 Short: Basic Client Systems Management,w/ASF,OPTI
Long: Basic Client Systems Management,with ASF,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Basic Client Systems Management (w/ ASF)
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ASF ENABLED
3 ME Disabled 310-9493 XT411
NN180
Short: Client Systems Management Disabled,OPTI
Long: Client Systems Management Disabled, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Client Systems Management Disabled
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,MEBX,DISABLE,OPT
MOD MOD,INFO,1-WATT,BIOS,OPTI,755
Deployment Mode
N/A Disables Remote Configuration 310-9495 CU378 Short: One Touch Provisioning Support,OPTI
Long: One Touch Provisioning Support, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: One Touch Provisioning Support
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ONE TOUCH CNFG
2 ASF with AMT option 310-9497 WK835 Short: LEGACY ASF SETTING FOR IAMT,OPTI
Long: Legacy ASF Setting for iAMT,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Legacy ASF Setting for iAMT
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ASF ROLL BACK
4 No TLS * 310-9496 RU572 Short: TLS Encryption Disabled,OPTI
Long: TLS Encryption Disabled, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: TLS Encryption Disabled
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,TLS,DISABLE,OPTI

* The No TLS option only applies to the following countries: China, France, Hong Kong, Israel, Korea, Poland, and Russia.

Table 1: Manageability Mode Labels

When issuing a dispatch, leave a note in the Comments to Service Provider field with the Manageability Mode option that must be selected after the system board is replaced.

The Manageability Mode Sticker on the Chassis Cover for the OptiPlex™ 755

On the inside of the removable side cover there is a 2" x 1" label denoting the manageability mode with which the system was purchased (Figures 1 and 2).

Figure 1: The Manageability Mode Sticker Location on the OptiPlex 755

Figure 2: The Four Different Manageability Mode Stickers on the OptiPlex 755

Configure the Manageability Mode on a Replacement System Board

Note:  
  When the number for the manageability mode is entered and confirmed, it is unable to be changed. If the incorrect manageability mode is selected, it is possible the system board must be replaced depending on the option selected.  
  1. Turn the system off and remove the power cord.

2. Open the chassis cover and locate the manageability mode sticker.

3. Verify the number on the manageability mode sticker.

4. Close the chassis cover, plug the power cord back into the system, and turn the system on.

5. At the Type the number corresponding with your selection: prompt, press the key for the number obtained from the sticker (Figure 1).

Figure 1: Prompt Received After Replacing the System Board

6. At the Continue with selection? (Y/N) prompt, press .

7. After the system shuts down, turn the system back on to continue with normal operation.

Change Manageability Modes 1 and 2 if Incorrectly Selected

It is not possible to change the Manageability Mode when options 3 or 4 have been selected. 

If Manageability Mode options 1 or 2 are incorrectly selected after replacing the system board, correct this by performing the following steps:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Press and hold  while tapping

at the Dell logo screen to enter the Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx) screens.

3. When prompted, enter the password and press .

4. Select Intel (R) ME Configuration and press .

5. At the [ Caution ] screen, press .

6. At the Intel (R) ME Configuration screen, press to select Intel (R) ME Features Control amd Press the key.

7. Press  to select Manageability Feature Selection.

8. Use or to select either Intel (R) AMT or ASF, which are respectively options 1 and 2 when selecting the Manageability Mode on a replacement system board.

4 Posts

Thanks Robert. It looks like it was a matter of BIOS being pretty old. In fact I noted the BIOS revision as A14, It as A05! So I updated it to A24 (latest for 9010s of this kind). In fact I updated all the BIOSs in the lab to A24 for 9010s and A17 for 9020s. All works fine now.

4 Posts

Thank you so much SpeedStep. It looks like a BIOS update was necessary. After updating to A24 for this box, it resolved my issues. In fact, the BIOS level was A05! I incorrectly noted BIOS to be A14 (from the other boxes in the lab). For some of the boxes, I also needed to CMOS reset for some reason to get the admin password reset. Since these are second hand boxes a complete BIOS update was necessary as well in addition to the CMOS reset.

No Events found!