Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2014 09:00

Optiplex 9020 - Video Camera Disconnect

Hello

I've got a Dell Optiplex 9020 with a built-in WebCam. The problem I have is that, often, when i try to use software that utilizes the web-cam, it shows up as blank. It doesn't show that a video capture device is not available, but it shows that it is blank.

The solution, although seemingly silly, is that you have to disconnect and re-connect the USB keyboard and then open the on-board camera. Then, the camera will start to work in the software.

Has anyone had issues like this?

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

April 24th, 2014 09:00

Hi Drifter123go,

Thanks for your post! From what your describing its possible driver corruption is causing the webcam to disconnect. If you have not already done so I would recommend installing the latest drivers from our support site (linked below) updating the systems Chipset / keyboard drivers along with the systems BIOS would be a good place to start testing.

Have you noticed the webcam fail when performing any particular function, or is it just intermittently not found when opening the webcam software / Are any additional USB devices connected to the system besides the keyboard and mouse?

OptiPlex 9020 AIO Drivers & Downloads

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/optiplex-9020-aio

Hopefully the driver updates are able to fix the issue but let us know how it goes.

2 Posts

April 28th, 2014 05:00

I had the same problem. Issue was resolved after a BIOS update.

Not sure what was the problem, the camera was getting disconnections (device manager shows the integrated camera, then disappears, then shown again, and so on).

Using Windows 8.1

2 Posts

April 28th, 2014 07:00

Not sure what was the previous BIOS version. Is there a log somewhere I can check?

However, I took the latest BIOS from the link you shared above. Current BIOS version installed:

• BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc. A07, 12/10/2013
  • SMBIOS Version:     2.7

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

April 28th, 2014 07:00

I had the same problem. Issue was resolved after a BIOS update.

Thanks for the post Omerl!

Could you clarify the version of BIOS that was installed initially (having webcam issues), and the version of BIOS you updated to that resolved the issue?

No Events found!