Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2016 15:00

Optiplex 9020 Video Issues (Head Bump)

Hey Guys,

I need a little assistance. We currently have some 9020 machines where I work they are running Windows 10 with the 8570 AMD Graphics card. These cards run dual displays one display port, the other HDMI.

The issue we are having is users will be working and suddenly the display will crash and one monitor will work and the other will not. We have tried replacing, motherboards, drivers, keyboard, mouse, reimaging the machine, even going back to an older driver.

We have unplugged all printers and web cams from the system, replaced the graphics card and memory and yet still this machine gets an out of memory error each time almost within 2 hours of me giving the machine back to the user. We have tried to reproduce the error ourselves and cannot. We have run burn in software and youtube in multiple windows and still cannot recreate this issue ourselves . Yet, within hours of giving the machine back to the user she gets out of memory errors with nothing but IE and Outlook running.

The dump file when it is created, jump back and fourth from saying it's the Kernel and the AMD drivers.

Any ideas?

Thanks
bamajedi

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 25th, 2016 19:00

Is the user using the exact same 2 monitors that you use for your testing? Not identical monitors, but exactly the same 2 monitors..?

4 Posts

July 28th, 2016 14:00

No we are not using the same monitors. Each time we tested the user had theirs and we used one back in our lab. Not only that it appears a few other users are having the symptoms of the same problem. They all have similar setups. Though, theirs is not as severe.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 28th, 2016 18:00

Well, if it works in the lab but not out in the "field", then you have to focus on what's different, eg the  monitors, Ethernet/WiFi connection, network storage, power sources...

4 Posts

August 8th, 2016 09:00

Well this may help somebody, somwhere, someday.

We bumped the OS back to Win7 and it solved the users issue. We were at Win10 image pushed by SCCM.

We may try a manual build of the machine however, I doubt the user will allow that due to the level of frustration while we tried to troubleshoot. If I had to guess there is a driver in the image somewhere that is causing the error.

A quick look at the dump file points to the video driver but replacing this or going with another video card (on board) altogether does not fix the issue

One of our guys is loading the Intel Rapid Storage Service and having success on a different system.

I made the virtual cache a set size and had success with yet  another system. None of these were the same model of Dell or crashing on such a frequent basis as the one we bumped back to Win7.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 8th, 2016 12:00

While going back to Win 7 seems to have fixed the prob, it doesn't actually explain things.

You said the PC worked OK in the lab but failed when you returned it to the user, presumably while running Win 10 in both locations. So that still says -to me- there's something different beyond the PC in those two locations, whether hardware, software, network/server connections... :emotion-3:

4 Posts

August 8th, 2016 14:00

Correct you are. But I also was not logging in as the user on their profile. Which is something else to think about altogether. All things being equal it is an issue we will have to face head on, one way or another.

BTW, the user had a local printer HP which we disconnected and uninstalled the driver also they had a web cam we disconnected and we replaced the keyboard and mouse. Still got the out of memory error.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 8th, 2016 15:00

Welcome to the Twilight Zone!

Hope you figure this out without too much more (painful) head bumping.  

No Events found!