Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2016 06:00

Optiplex 9020 videocard and power supply upgrade!

Hi I've read in a couple of posts that some people are having difficulty upgrading the power supply in an optiplex 9020 because of a proprietary 8 pin mother board power connector?

I've recently purchased a used optiplex 9020 and would like to upgrade its power supply and add a video card.

I've purchased  from moddiy.com a 24 pin to 8 pin power adapter to fit a standard atx power supply to the 8 pin mother board connector.

So what I have been experiencing since I installed the 24 pin to 8 pin power adapter to the motherboard and power supply is that it will do a self power test and then turn off. Then I try pressing the power button after the self power boot test I get nothing. My power supply ends up being dead and not working as I try to install it back to my older computer, I also tried  the paper clip test tothe 24 pin atx power supply and nothing my power supply is dead.

So I tried another power supply, and it did the same thing, and now I have two non powering power supplies that are both dead.

The power supply that I am using is a enermax 525w power supply.

I have been reading some one elses post that I need to use a EPS12v power supply, specifically the corsair CS750M that uses a +5vsb rail.

Can someone please tell me if this power supply or the lower wattage power supply with a esp12v power will  be enough power to power the motherboard, 2 1tb hard drives, optical drive, and a evga gforce 760 FTW graphics card??

I want to know if this will fry he power supply or it will run and work properly without any problems?

Ive been testing the continuity of the 24 pin to 8 pin power adapter, and all the wires are fine except the purple wire.

from a pinout wiring diagram of a standard atx 24 pin connector the purple wire is a +5v wire, but in another post where a user posts the voltages of the 8 pin connector that the motherboard uses he explains that the purple wire is a constant 12v wire? Could this be my problem, and did moddiy.com send me a straight power adapter without the molex connector for the constant 12v for the purple wire, refenceing the colored wire with the dell power supply?

Please help?

I really would like to know if this is even possible?

And does anybody also know what could be wrong with my two dead power supply?

Is it salvageable or repairable?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 12th, 2016 08:00

The 8 pin adapter is NOT the only connector that must be attached.  There is also the 4 PIN EPS12v connector.  Attaching this is not optional.  Some power supplies have an 8 pin connector for EPS12v motherboard connector that must be split into 4 + 4   This 8 pin IS NOT for the 8 pin connector on the motherboard.  The 24 pin goes to the moddiy then the 8 pin.  Every body and joes crab shack power supplies are not going to be tested and validated here.

4 Posts

December 12th, 2016 14:00

The 4 pin connector is the cpu power if im correct?, which is connected correctley, I did not use a 4+4 pin esp12v connector as the power supply that I was using (enermax pro82+) did not have such connector!

Is using the cs750m power supply the only option?

Is the moddiy adapter purple wire a 12v wire or a +5v wire?

What can I do to power the motherboard with a replacement power supply?

Am I okey with the moddiy adapter? Or Do I need to modify the purple wire to get 12v?

Please help? I dont know what kind of power supply I need to buy?

4 Posts

December 12th, 2016 16:00

OH! do you mean that the 4pin connector on the motherboard is not the standard 12V cpu power?

it is a ESP12V 4 pin power connector!

Do I use one of the 4+4 ESP 12V connectors? to connect to the 4pin connector on the motherboard?

How can I tell the difference between the 4pin connector and the 4+4pin connector when I purchase a new power supply? is the 4pin loomed separately, as the 4+4pin is loomed together?

Is that why I'm have trouble with the power supply and shorted out my dead power supply?

is the Corsair CS750M the only compatible power supply to use?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 13th, 2016 08:00

You split the EPS12v  4+4 connector to connect to the motherboard.  This is not an optional connection.  Not all units use an 8 pin.

The EPS 12v 8 pin DOES NOT go to the 8 pin on the motherboard.

You attach the 24 pin to the Moddiy

CS750M works as does the EVGA Nex 750 B1 or G1.

4 Posts

December 13th, 2016 15:00

Would any haswell ready or certified power supply work with the dell optiplex 9020 motherboard?

No Events found!