Highlighted
8 Krypton

Optiplex 980 issue - 3 & 4 lights lit up

Guys,

I have an out of warranty 980 that will power on, amber 3 and 4 lights come on, then it will power off and power back on and do the same thing.  Its just a cycle. 

I just ran memtest on the 16GB of new Crucial RAM and there were no problems found.  The dell diagnostics indicated no issues either. 

Does this sound like a bad motherboard?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Optiplex 980 issue - 3 & 4 lights lit up

Color of the power button? And is it steady or blinking?

3,4 with amber button: Memory modules are detected, but a memory power failure has occurred.

If two or more memory modules are installed, remove the modules, then reinstall one module and restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, continue to install additional memory modules (one at a time) until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error. If only one memory module is installed, try moving it to a different DIMM connector and restart the computer. If available, install verified working memory of the same type into your computer.

3,4 with blue button:  Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.

If two or more memory modules are installed, remove the modules (see your service manual), then reinstall one module (see your service manual and restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, continue to install additional memory modules (one at a time) until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error. If available, install working memory of the same type into your computer.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

hi,

Indication 3,4 could be issue with Memory or Motherboard.

try these

do power drain

if possible re-seat Memory

also share what is the colour status in power button ?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Thanks guys. 

I left it unplugged overnight.  Now, it will power up fine.  Running diagnostics on it again. 

It did do this before (work for a bit), then when the user did something cpu/memory intensive, it hosed up. 

Btw, the power light was always blue with the 3 & 4 lights amber.

0 Kudos