2 Bronze

Optiplex GX260

The hard drive is maxed out and I'm considering adding a 2nd one for more space. Since this machine is at least 7 years old do I need to worry about the BIOS not accepting a 600 GB hard drive ?

Do I get an IDE or a SATA one ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
7 Gold

Re: Optiplex GX260

The GX260 doesn't have any SATA ports, so short of adding your own SATA controller, you'll have to get an ATA/IDE drive.

Only the tower version of the GX260 has room for 2 harddrives. So if you have the desktop or small form factor model, you'll have to replace the current drive with the new one.

You mentioned a 600GB harddrive, but I think the largest ATA drive I've ever seen was 500GB.

Be sure to jumper the drive as Cable Select (CS) and not at Master or Slave.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Thanks for the info. I think I have the desktop version of the GX260. If I provide you with the service tag would you be able to tell me what style machine I have ?

0 Kudos
3 Cadmium

Another option is an external USB drive.  They are reasonably affordable and can get you into the 1-2 TB range if you are interested.

David

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Thanks for the info. I think I have the desktop version of the GX260. If I provide you with the service tag would you be able to tell me what style machine I have ?

levinll2

THIS 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

will show the different GX260 models.

Please do not post your system's Service Tag, as it is a Tof S violation to be included in a post and it could be deleted.   emoticon.Wink.title

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Guys, I have the sameidea - want to change 40Gb hdd in gx260. Tried to install 500Gb ATA Seagate, but BIOS can't recognize it. New disk  installed in other PC works. Upgraded Bios to the newest A9 ver, no progress.

Any idea? Is there any stupid limitation to xxGb or what? Or any already known bug with seagate?

Appreciate your prompt help.

Michal

0 Kudos