Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2013 18:00

Optiplex GX270 SMT case

where can i find a custom built or replacement case that will fit my Optiplex GX270 smt?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 1st, 2013 18:00

The tower might fit in an ATX case, but you'd have to rewire it for the proprietary and undocumented front panel connector. There's little point in doing this, since the GX270 is quite obsolete. Furthermore, the cooling solution is proprietary; I think Foxconn made a custom heatsink for the Dell 'clamshell' boards that might work.

The small form factor case might fit in a micro-ATX case, but it, too uses a proprietary cooling solution and front panel.

It would cost a fortune to have a custom case built for either one of these models.

29 Posts

March 1st, 2013 21:00

****EDIT****

I want to transfer the parts from my current pc into smaller case. Is the GX270 SFF compatible with my motherboard?

If not  then  I am  buying   the  Optiplex 170L chassis..  As per Dell Support ,it is compatible with the Optiplex GX270 SMT motherboard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111008448916&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_462wt_1255

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111008448916&ssPageName=ADME

29 Posts

The tower might fit in an ATX case, but you'd have to rewire it for the proprietary and undocumented front panel connector. There's little point in doing this, since the GX270 is quite obsolete. Furthermore, the cooling solution is proprietary; I think Foxconn made a custom heatsink for the Dell 'clamshell' boards that might work.

The small form factor case might fit in a micro-ATX case, but it, too uses a proprietary cooling solution and front panel.

It would cost a fortune to have a custom case built for either one of these models.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

The SFF's had their own unique cases, cooling solutions and motherboards.

If you want a teeny case, a refurbished Optiplex GX620 SFF can be had for under $70 on eBay (including shipping). The GX620 SFF is compatible with both Windows 7 and Windows 8, has a PCIe 16x slot, and will use non-proprietary DDR2 memory.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 5th, 2013 09:00

No Events found!