kduck28
2 Iron

Re: Optiplex GX520 doesn't recognize any CDROM I swap in

Jump to solution

More to this story. In that scenario I just mentioned, I used the Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Do you have two optical drives and are you sure both are CS?

0 Kudos
kduck28
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Ok. I only have one optical drive. After doing a little more research, I was resolved to try the follow.

1. Shutdown PC

2. Disconnected the Sony drive

3. Reboot and edit BIOS to turn off PATA-0

4. PC reboots to Windows and I removed the existing Primary IDE Channel setting

5. Shutdown PC and connect the Sony drive to the IDE controller (jumpered to CS)

6. Reboot PC to BIOS and turn on PATA-0, boot continued to Windows desktop sucessfully

7. Windows asked to reinstall the Primary IDE Channel, completed successfully, reboot

8. Back to Windows desktop and check the Primary IDE Channel setting: it was set PIO Only

-

9. I changed the setting to DMA if available and rebooted

10. As Windows was loading the process locked up. Had to force the shutdown and started room step 3

This PC is unable to or can't support DMA on the IDE interface. PIO mode is the only thing that works. I updated the BIOS to version A11 but that didn't change anything for this issue.

0 Kudos
kduck28
2 Iron

Jump to solution

This PC will only load the DMA mode when I remove the jumper from all of the drive's pins. In this configuration, I first receive the "Drive 2 not found: Parallel  ATA, PATA-0 error message. I have to hit F1 to continue to Windows. So then, the BIOS detects the drive's name as unknown where as Windows correctly detects the drives name. And Windows sets the Primary IDE Channel setting in DMA mode. I'm ticked now and don't what to blame Windows stinking drivers or Dell's motherboard workmanship.  Well it's an old PC and I got it cheap. What should I expect. Rant over.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

It could be a bad cable. Or Ebay has lots of IDE drives for very cheap.

0 Kudos
kduck28
2 Iron

Jump to solution

After all the back and forth with this issue, it came down someone the IT department doing something strange to the Windows XP Pro SP3 installation on the machine. The PC was purshased as is from an company auction. So who knows what happened. maybe it could also be a corrupted reqistery. Bottom-line, no CD-RW/DVD-ROM would work in this PC.

My solution was to place my spare 160GB ATA/IDE hard drive in the PC as the master device and use the Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM as the slave device and installed Windows XP Home SP3. Once that was completed I checked the properties of the Primary IDE Channel which indicated UDMA Mode 5 for "device 0" and UDMA Mode 2 for "device 1". So this was not a hardward or BIOS issue.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Excellent. Glad to hear that worked.

0 Kudos