Highlighted
Dee100
1 Nickel

Optiplex GX620 Keyboard Failure

There was a flash storm in our area this week and I believe it affected my computer. After a loud crash of thunder in which I was trying to get to my computer and unplug the power went out and I have had nothing but problems ever since.

I am getting a Keyboard Failure error at the start of reboot and  then it proceeds to load windows xp. Niether the mouse or keyboard work.  I have tried to use all 8 usb ports to no avail. I am able to use both the keyboard and mouse on my laptop so they are not the issue. I have tried unplugging it, holding the power button for 60 secs. This did not work. I have also tried disconnecting the jumper for a few minutes but again no deal.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I either do a major motherboard change or a new computer purchase?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
8 Krypton

Re: Optiplex GX620 Keyboard Failure

With a storm and a power failure while running, anything is possible.   Have you tried resetting the BIOS by removing the CR2032 battery for about 5 minutes (obviously with the PC powered off)?

If that does not help, I would suspect a motherboard failure.

The PC connected to a UPS system would have prevented any AC power releated failures.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos