Highlighted
8 Xenon

RE: Optiplex GX620 with Windows 7 - 64bit

Jump to solution

Windows 8 is reporting that about 512mb is reserved for the hardware.

3.5gb is enough for the typical user, and apparently the GX620 will go to 8gb, although I haven't tried it myself.

There is also a PAE/NX/SSE2 requirement in Windows 8

Although the GX620 board will see 8 gigs in BIOS A11
The GX620 with x64 os on the system will only allow 3.5 gigs total.

This feature is typically found in the Advanced or Security tabs within the BIOS settings,
and can be referred to by a variety of names, including but not limited to:

·        No Execute Memory Protect

·        Execute Disabled Memory Protection

·        EDB (Execute Disabled Bit)

·        EVP (Enhanced Virus Protection)

If the BIOS setting for the NX (XD, EDB, or EVP) support option is not available on your system,
you may need to update the BIOS.  Note that some very old Pentium 4 processors may not contain these features
and will be incompatible with Windows 8.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I couldn't get my GX620 to boot with 8gb, but it may just be that the memory is incompatible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

I could get it to boot with XP 32 but not with windows 7 x64 or Live Linux X64.

Black Screen of death.  2 x 2 gig modules works fine however which is good news for GX520 owners and GX620 SFF owners.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Yep; mine's a GX620 SFF.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Been trying to get Win 8.1 x64 running on my GX620 (curious as to what the SFF suffix means?).   It has 4GB and ATI graphics card.

Anyway, 32bit Enterprise Eval installed just fine, that's what I running as I type this.   Unfortunately, x64 Enterprise Eval and DSP OEI disks both failing with the 4 squares on the screen, then it reboots.  I have an A11 bios and have NX bit enabled.

Should I give up and just try to get an OEM version of the 32 bit disk, or is there any hope?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

Been trying to get Win 8.1 x64 running on my GX620 (curious as to what the SFF suffix means?).   It has 4GB and ATI graphics card.

Anyway, 32bit Enterprise Eval installed just fine, that's what I running as I type this.   Unfortunately, x64 Enterprise Eval and DSP OEI disks both failing with the 4 squares on the screen, then it reboots.  I have an A11 bios and have NX bit enabled.

Should I give up and just try to get an OEM version of the 32 bit disk, or is there any hope?

Small Form Factor = SFF.

I got same results on a GX520 as you with Windows 8.1 64 Bit.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Just figured out that SFF is Small Form Factor.   Did those models have a different Motherboard?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, x64 Enterprise Eval and DSP OEI disks both failing with the 4 squares on the screen, then it reboots.  I have an A11 bios and have NX bit enabled.

The CPU is incompatible with Windows 8.1 x64, as that OS requires support for new instructions.

You can install Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8 x64.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Small Form Factor = SFF.

I got same results on a GX520 as you with Windows 8.1 64 Bit.

Thanks Natakuc4, I saw your earlier posts and realized that we were traveling down the same road.  I talked to someone in Microsoft Support via Chat, and also had this thread over on their boards:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/increasing-the-verbosity...

Being a long time UNIX guy, I hate black box stuff with no console or logs (like this).   Drives me crazy.  I'm going to try the suggestions from John Rubdy, as soon as I get the chance.   Have you already tried something like this?    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Guys, Windows 8.1 x64 uses new CPU instructions not present in the GX620's processor and that's why it won't work with that model.

0 Kudos