Highlighted
HelpMe805
1 Copper

Optiplex MiniTower 745 UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Hi, My name is Russel, and I have a error concerning my Precise MiniTower I got from my father.

So anyways, I saw the ethernet Cable was Orange blinking yellowish. I saw there was a error with the Driver in Device Manger. Not knowing a whole lot on the Subject, I downloaded Drivers, Im pretty sure I placed them in the wrong place or deleted one or two (Most likely the first case). Now, I boot on my computer, It says Unmountable_Boot_Volume. There nothing really on the Hard Drive since I just got it. I can easily replace the Hard Drive no big deal, In fact, I have a 160gb Hard Drive with Windows 32 Bit coming in the mail specifically for this machine. I also have Widnows XP Professional OEM my dad has laying around with Product Key, but when I put the new just opened Professional CD, it wouldn't budge or do anything. I heard the CD processing, and I know this computer has a working CD-DRIVE (If that the correct term) because I just tested something with it last time. 

Everytime I try to go to Safe mode (all 3) , or normal, or go back to a previous state, it leads me to the same blue screen everytime!

Heres what it says (Blue Screen)

"A problem has dected and windows has been shut down to prevent Damage to your computer

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart the computer. If this screen appears again, follow theses steps:

Check to make sure any new Hardware or software is properly Installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manfacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced Startup optons, and then select Safe Mode

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0X000000ED (0X8635D9E0, 0XC0000006,0X00000000, 0X00000000" (No quotations marks)

Also, if it involves me paying 5000 bucks, I can litterally just buy a new one, or steal one. (Just kidding)

I have no idea what to do. Please help me, I want to fully restore or at least make things go back to normal, I have NOTHING on this computer, so am up for anything.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7- Thorium

RE: Optiplex MiniTower 745 UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

An optiplex 745 is not a Dell precision Mini tower.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/297185

This behavior can occur if either of the following conditions is true:

• Your computer uses an Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller, and the following conditions are true:The file system is physically damaged and cannot be mounted.
    • You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
    • The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.

The purpose of this error message is to prevent the following two things:

• Potential data loss caused by using an incorrect IDE cable for the faster UDMA modes. An IDE cable is a kind of cable used to connect storage devices, such as hard disks, inside a computer.
  • Continued access to a drive on which the file system is damaged

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro