Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2002 01:00

Outlook Express-Won't Open

I cant open Outlook. It gives this message- Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be loaded. Ive been told that I need to uninstall Outlook and re-install it. I dont know how to do that. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. How do I uninstall and reinstall Outlook. Thank you so much for your time. Phyllis ps I have 6.0

Message Edited on 05/22/02 09:53PM by pmk74

18.8K Posts

May 23rd, 2002 02:00

pmk74,

You don't specify what operating system you are using. If it is Windows ME the information here may apply.

In any case, to uninstall the program go to Start|Settings|Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs. Select Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and unininstall it. Then go back into Add/Remove Programs. Select Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools. Click to select it, then from the context menu that opens choose "Add a component." Outlook Express is one of the available components.

Are you a new computer owner, or simply new to Delltalk? You may find some helpful information on how best to use this forum here.
Want to make a hyperlink in your post, want to add a graphic or sound file, need to troubleshoot a non-working Java applet, want to build an attractive signature? These capabilities can be yours if you visit Denny's DellT@lk Tutorials.
For help in deciding what can be eliminated from your Startup list, take a look here.
Want to get rid of Network Neighborhood, change your Registered Owner name? Check out the little utilities at Delltalk Tweekz.
Ready to sign up for Web server space? Want to learn FTP? Visit Web Presence for Beginners.
For new users (or veterans who would like to help a new user), a number of basic Windows tasks are illustrated in Denny's Tutorial Viewlets.

Note: I do not answer Instant Messages but I do answer email.

4 Posts

May 23rd, 2002 03:00

Denny, Thank you so very much. I now have outlook back!!! The first link you gave me(and yes I do have Millenium -sorry) didnt work. But then I uninstalled and installed with your instuctions and it worked. Thanks. My internet provider told me I would have to take tower to tech to be fixed. He said he couldnt uninstall over phone. I am SO thankful you answered. We are all very lucky to have you here to help us. God Bless You! Phyllis Hope you dont mind but I have one more question. How can I get shortcut for desktop on taskbar? I use to have it but it disappeared. Thank you.

18.8K Posts

May 23rd, 2002 14:00

pmk74,

For the desktop, in Windows Explorer go to C:\Windows\Desktop folder. Right-click and select "Send to|Desktop (create shortcut)." When the shortcut is on the desktop you can drag it to the Quick Launch toolbar.

Sorry, your browser doesn't support Java.

Are you a new computer owner, or simply new to Delltalk? You may find some helpful information on how best to use this forum here.
Want to make a hyperlink in your post, want to add a graphic or sound file, need to troubleshoot a non-working Java applet, want to build an attractive signature? These capabilities can be yours if you visit Denny's DellT@lk Tutorials.
For help in deciding what can be eliminated from your Startup list, take a look here.
Want to get rid of Network Neighborhood, change your Registered Owner name? Check out the little utilities at Delltalk Tweekz.
Ready to sign up for Web server space? Want to learn FTP? Visit Web Presence for Beginners.
For new users (or veterans who would like to help a new user), a number of basic Windows tasks are illustrated in Denny's Tutorial Viewlets.

Note: I do not answer Instant Messages but I do answer email.

1 Message

September 5th, 2013 15:00

I have been on with Frontier Communication for the past hour because my email was not opening.  They told me to contact DELL as my outlook express won't open.

Can you please help - I don't have any idea on how to get it back up and running.  I was on my outlook express this morning and it worked fine and now when I try to open my email it just sits there..

Thanks for your help!

Happiday

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 7th, 2013 12:00

You might consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, which is available free from Microsoft for XP. It can import your old Outlook Express messages, provided the latter's databases are not corrupt.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3945

20.5K Posts

September 7th, 2013 12:00

Hi Happiday,

Wow, you have replied to a very old discussion. Have you ever cleaned out your .dbx files?
Outlook Express stores email messages in databases that have a .dbx file extension. Each Outlook Express folder (even subfolders) has a database associated with it.The databases have the same name as the folders thus the inbox folder has a database called inbox.dbx. These files can become corrupt, or your "mailboxes" filled to capacity. Thus, OE might refuse to open. Perhaps that is the issue here.

All of the databases are located in a root store or folder, the default location varies depending on the Operating system. You did not mention yours, but I am assuming that you are running Windows XP.

To find the location of your OE store:
1. Open Outlook Express
2. Click Tools> Options.
3. Click the Maintenance tab.
4. Click Store folder and the location appears.

Or do a search for *.dbx
In Windows XP the location is usually here: C:\Documents and Settings\ \Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{ }\Microsoft\ Outlook Express.

Provided Outlook Express is closed these files can be accessed and copied without any problems.  You may want to save these files to your desktop as a backup in case the following cleaning procedure does not work. An easy backup method is to copy the root folder and its contents to there (or anywhere you choose to save it)

After you have your backup, let's see if we can clean out that Inbox, With Outlook Express NOT RUNNING, Locate Inbox.dbx, delete it, exit back to your desktop, launch Outlook Express, and see what happens.
When OE is launched, Windows should rebuild the .dbx file you deleted. The Inbox will be empty now.

If that doesn't do the trick, with Outlook Express NOT RUNNING, on XP, navigate back to:
C:\Documents and Settings\ \Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{ }\Microsoft\ Outlook Express

Locate Folders.dbx, delete it, exit back to your desktop, launch OE, and see what happens. Most likely you will need to reset your OE preferences after doing either of these.

No Events found!