Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

May 15th, 2009 07:00

Outrageous Dell Customer Support

I would like to let everyone know of a recent conversation I had with Dell Tech Support.

I contacted Dell as I wished to purchase a Low Profile PCI filler slot because I had removed a component from my computer and wanted to insert a blank filler slot in it's place, to prevent dust getting in the case.  Unfortunately, these are not available on the Dell Website and I couldn't find a seller anywhere else.

So, they arranged a call back so I could order the parts.  Good I thought...

When the customer support person called, I was informed  that to order a £13.95 filler slot, I would have to extend my computer  warranty for 2 years as the part came with a 2 year warranty.  So for a £13.95 filler slot which is a 10cm piece of metal, they told me I had to buy a warranty for £109 for 2 years or £139 for 3 years.

I was completely disgusted.  I've spent over £1500 with Dell over the last 12 months.  In many respects, I think computers should come with a complete set of blanking slots.  The price of the filler slot is extortionate too - indeed why does a card filler need a warranty!!

This process was a complete con.  A £109 warranty just to buy a slot filler.  Get real!

elyoh

3.7K Posts

Hi, I think you will be better off just covering the slot with an piece of tape.

13 Posts

Thanks SpeedStep.  Unfortunately, some of those aren't available to UK customers or postage to UK is very high (e.g. £64 for Amazon).  If anyone knows of a UK site, that would be great.  Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Thanks SpeedStep.  Unfortunately, some of those aren't available to UK customers or postage to UK is very high (e.g. £64 for Amazon).  If anyone knows of a UK site, that would be great.  Thanks again.

http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php/223989/1455/

http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/TechDesc.asp?pn=PLATEBLANKLP

806 Posts

May 15th, 2009 08:00

either that or just go to your local computer shop - typically they will have a box of them just lying around.

806 Posts

i think it may be worth checking in with a local pc shop nonetheless.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

either that or just go to your local computer shop - typically they will have a box of them just lying around.

In the OLD days that would be true. Newer cases and designs have break away slot covers that dont go back on when you take them off.

Regular ones would be easy but low profile versions would be harder to find.

No Events found!