Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2008 08:00

Overclocking XPS 420

Hi,

I havent done this yet but is it safe to use software to overclock only .1-.2ghz on q6600 since we cant do anything in the bios even though its OUR not dell's computer anymore.  I'll be using clockgen by the way.

14.4K Posts

December 27th, 2008 17:00

Quads at the moment are more suited at running intense graphics processing like crunching videos rather than gaming as most games are not written to take advantage of the 4 cores. so in essence unles you are doing a lot of graphical applictions at the present the performance increase is not all that great.

3.7K Posts

Hi zrock_87, Found this on YouTube for you HERE. Not for the faint hearted.

106 Posts

buddy, I see that but I have no intention of going berserk with the whole overclocking thing and then using q6600 for grilling bbq.  I only wanna overclock a little bit which stays stable on STOCK COOLING.  I was just asking if software would be ok and not messing up other components if you know what i mean.  

Thanks for the vid, I already saw it but way too fussy and not to mention "risky".

1.4K Posts

December 27th, 2008 09:00

Such a small bump in speed would only be noticed in benchmarks, and then not alot of increase in performance.

799 Posts

Hello zrock_87, There are ways to overclock the Q6600 CPU.

The way many do this is a hardware modification. While it appears to be reasonably easy to do, I would not recommed it at all.

If it fails, so does the Q6600, and maybe even the motherboard and memory, and who knows what else.

By overclocking the Q6600 to the 1333 mhz clock speed, you could also install 1066 mhz memory, instead of the maximum 800 mhz memory

But by the time you do all this, for a little more money you could just upgrade to a newer system with the specifications that would be more to your likeing.

Just some thoughts.

106 Posts

I see what are you saying but I dont plan on doing any of that.  I would just like to bump up the cpu speed only by .1 or .2ghz stable.  I was just wondering if it would be safe to do it by the software.  Thats it.  Thanks.

1.4K Posts

not to mention "risky".

Not to mention impossible with the Dell bios.

I've not heard of Clockgen being able to work with the 420 ( does on some 410 mb's ).

The other option is the pin mod that many here have done

http://www.flickr.com/photos/osunick/2474963684/

The stock Dell cooler has proven to be satisfactory for this.

799 Posts

December 27th, 2008 10:00

I see what are you saying but I dont plan on doing any of that.  I would just like to bump up the cpu speed only by .1 or .2ghz stable.  I was just wondering if it would be safe to do it by the software.  Thats it.  Thanks.

Hello zrock_87, You would not see any real performance increase with that small of an increase.

Even if it would be possible, you would be adjusting the memory speed as well, since the BIOS has a CPU/Ram ration to be considered here.

You would need some extremely good memory to tolerate this overclock.

The tape mod is one of the mods I was referring to.

It would void any Dell warranty and may result in a system that would not boot at all.

It is just not woth the experiment, in my opinion.

Just some thoughts.

799 Posts

I see what are you saying.  But, Dell should really consider unlocking the bios because once you buy it its yours you know and Dell really shouldnt "control" us like that especially the xps desktops.  Thanks for the help guys, I'll just stick with the stock speed.

Hello zrock_87, I understand your point. I believe the decision by Dell to "lock" the XPS 420 BIOS is more of a marketing strategy than anything else.

If the end user could manipulate the BIOS settings and get the results as their higher end systems, that would cut back on the higher end system sales.

I don't necessarily fault them for this, and I may be wrong about this as well.

Just some thoughts.

106 Posts

I see what are you saying.  But, Dell should really consider unlocking the bios because once you buy it its yours you know and Dell really shouldnt "control" us like that especially the xps desktops.  Thanks for the help guys, I'll just stick with the stock speed.  :emotion-6:

106 Posts

I'll just stay with stock speeds to avoid any warranty issues.  I'm coming from Alienware so, its a big change for me.  Its not like that I overclocked my Alienware but q6600 on the other hand is a good chip for overclocking.

106 Posts

But, this is so ludicrious lol.  Its not like that you are getting xps 420 for $500 either.  XPS users in my opinion should be allowed to overclock but it doesnt matter what I or anybody says for that matter because DELL care$ about monie$.  :emotion-1:

106 Posts

When i responded before I hadnt read about the bsel mod or the tape mod.  So what you are saying that the dell cooling is adequate for like 3.0ghz but is it really worth voiding your warranty lol.  Very risky to get a little bit of performance increase lol.  :)

799 Posts

So what about the pinmod.  Would that mess up the ram as well?  Thanks.

Yes it would. Since you would be running the CPU at 1333 mhz instead of the original 1066 mhz, and the BIOS has the CPU/Ram ratio, the memory would be overclocked as well to 1066 mhz.

Your normal 667 mhz or 800 mhz simply would fail to run at the newly created memory speed.

Hope this is not too confusing, and helps.

14.4K Posts

December 27th, 2008 11:00

[quote user="zrock_87"]So what about the pinmod.  Would that mess up the ram as well?  Thanks.

Yes it would. Since you would be running the CPU at 1333 mhz instead of the original 1066 mhz, and the BIOS has the CPU/Ram ratio, the memory would be overclocked as well to 1066 mhz.

Your normal 667 mhz or 800 mhz simply would fail to run at the newly created memory speed.

Hope this is not too confusing, and helps.

[/quote]

If that was the case the pin mod would not work and in fact it does. It does not affect the external bus it trick the processor into thinking the bus is higher.

No Events found!