Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2007 14:00

PCI Memory Controller Issue

I have an elderly friend who delivered her Dell 2350 to me stating "I just can't get on the internet anymore".  Sorry nothing more specific than that.  I wnet into the device manager to make sure the modem was working and it says it is working fine, however there is a yellow question mark on other devices and under than PCI memory device is also yellowed.  When I try to update the driver it will not allow me to.  I also tried uninstalling the driver but its back.

When I go inot the bios there is a log that tells me that since 1/25/07 she has had keyboard issues.  She never mentioned this.

My question is what should I look at in order to fix this machine.  Sorry I can't be more specific but I have told you everything she told me. 

BTW she uses dial up.

1.3K Posts

February 13th, 2007 15:00

skmerrow wrote:
I have an elderly friend who delivered her Dell 2350 to me stating "I just can't get on the internet anymore".  Sorry nothing more specific than that.  I wnet into the device manager to make sure the modem was working and it says it is working fine, however there is a yellow question mark on other devices and under than PCI memory device is also yellowed.  When I try to update the driver it will not allow me to.  I also tried uninstalling the driver but its back.

When I go inot the bios there is a log that tells me that since 1/25/07 she has had keyboard issues.  She never mentioned this.

My question is what should I look at in order to fix this machine.  Sorry I can't be more specific but I have told you everything she told me. 

BTW she uses dial up.

There is no PCI memory controller, but there is a PCI manager within both the system BIOS and in Windows.

Assuming this computer is running some version of Windows, I would boot into safe mode without network and see if you can remove the device from there. I also suspect there is a malware infection living on board.

91 Posts

February 13th, 2007 15:00

Possible malware.  I also got a message about msmsgs.exe which one is to assume has to do with windows messaging.  I have disabled this service in the control panel.  I also searched for msmsgs.exe and it is only found in c;\windows\system so I do not beleive it is spyware or a wirus.

I went into safe mode and it says the device is not working because no driver is installed .  What do I install.  I don't know what the device is so how do I install something.  It does not find the unknown device on its own.  

1.3K Posts

February 13th, 2007 16:00

skmerrow wrote:
Possible malware.  I also got a message about msmsgs.exe which one is to assume has to do with windows messaging.  I have disabled this service in the control panel.  I also searched for msmsgs.exe and it is only found in c;\windows\system so I do not beleive it is spyware or a wirus.

I went into safe mode and it says the device is not working because no driver is installed .  What do I install.  I don't know what the device is so how do I install something.  It does not find the unknown device on its own.  

That is precisely why you have the yellow icon. Since you have no idea what the device may be, just ignore the driver for now and remove the device from the system.

If there is indeed a device installed the message will return once booted into Windows normal. Then you can open up the computer and do a quick scan of installed PCI devices, modem, sound card, video, etc... If all seem accounted for and working properly, then the modem or sound device is suspect. Some modems have the capability to be used as a telephone device which requires an additional driver. Some other types use the onboard or auxiliary sound card adapter. This may also be the unknown device. Give these a shot first and post back.
No Events found!