Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2011 08:00

PCIE 2.1 Sapphire 5670 in a Dimension 5150?

Hi Everyone

Can anyone tell me if a PCIE 2.1 (not 2.0!) Sapphire 5670 graphics card would work in my PCIE 1.0 Dell?

I am looking to replace a PCIE 2.0 Sapphire 3650 which I've used for the last few years with no problems, but the 2.1 spec of the 5670 concerns me.

I know there are odd compatibility issues between 2.1 cards in 1.0 slots, but I just can't find info on 2.1 cards in the Dell 5150.

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

1.5K Posts

June 15th, 2011 12:00

PCIe cards whether they are the 2.1 or 2.0 versions should all be backwards compatible with the older 1.0 version.  As you mentioned though, there could be a possibility of some issues.  I would get the card because you can always return it based on it just not working in your particular system if no one else can confirm it with having the exact same system and card.  If your HD 3650 2.0 card has worked, then so should a 2.1.  Make sure you have the most current bios update. I think the most difficult challenge will be uninstalling and reinstalling the ATI drivers & CCC, not your PCIe version.    

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 15th, 2011 13:00

I have an E510, which is identical to the 5150, and I agree with Kelbear1

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 16th, 2011 13:00

I have the Jan 2007 BIOS but I needed that as I have upgraded my E510 from XP to Vista 32 bit.  There was one fix in that BIOS that was required for Win 7.   If everything is working OK  I wouldn't upgrade the BIOS.  Usually a BIOS update goes without a problem however there is a remote chance the BIOS update will fail and corrupt the BIOS and if it does that the ONLY recourse is to replace the motherboard (and only another 5150/E510 motherbord will fit and work).

Other drivers there isn't a problem but the BIOS is something that should only be done if it fixes or adds something that you need.   In my case it was needed as I ran the Dell readiness test for Vista and it failed on one item (I don't remember what the item was).  Dell came out with the new BIOS, I updated ran the Dell Vista readiness test again and it passed.

I have an 8600GT video card in my E510 as it's my "secondary" PC as I built a new PC that I have Win 7 on.

3 Posts

June 16th, 2011 12:00

Thanks for taking time out to reply, I appreciate it.

After posting, I came across the following information - worth taking a look if have a spare few minutes...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/307628-15-compatibility-issues

The ATI 5670 card may possibly work OK, but after confirming my BIOS is June 2005 vintage (bought the Dell in '06) I have decided to play safe and have ordered a GT240 card - definitely PCIE 2.0 - which actually cost less than the 5670 would have done and will be enough for my needs (the odd Pro Evo session, etc.).

As you say, changing drivers might be tricky I will be going from ATI to NVidia but I look forward to giving it a go, I usually uninstall with Revo I will try that first.

Interesting there is a BIOS update for my 5150 from Jan 2007 - playing with the BIOS is always something I've not got involved in - would you advise me to leave it alone if my PC is running fine?

Oh, and one of the trickiest things was trying to locate a replacement stock fan for the 3650 card initially. Not the easiest things to find, but then they wouldn't sell as many new cards then would they?

Thanks again.:emotion-1:

3 Posts

June 20th, 2011 14:00

Hi again

New card has arrived but haven't had chance to install it yet, however don't think I'll touch the BIOS just in case! On the face of it instructions for updating the BIOS seemed OK but I'll take the advice with my PC running OK and leave it alone......Thanks.

No Events found!