Highlighted
vinhtq115
2 Iron

PSU upgrade for Dell Optiplex 3020 Mini Tower

Jump to solution

Can you suggest me a PSU that compatible with my Dell pc? The default PSU has only 290W. I want a PSU that about 500-550W and compatible with Optiplex 3020 motherboard and fit the case.

0 Kudos
16 Replies

RE: PSU upgrade for Dell Optiplex 3020 Mini Tower

Jump to solution

Hi,

As per the system's design we suggest the users to continue using 290w power supply unit since the system's chassy and system's functionality  are tested to be working best with these specifications .

If there are any more queries to reply to this post we will be glad to resolve them for you .

I hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,

DELL-Jennifer K
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Manuals and Drivers

vinhtq115
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I am planning to buy R7 250 for my Dell. Will the 290w psu enough for it? My cpu is i5-4570, 1 ram stick and 1 hdd and 2 default fans.

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

It should be fine.

0 Kudos
vinhtq115
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Does it enough for 2 R7 250?

0 Kudos
Workuserfg1600
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Reading the previous post about the "stock" power supply being enough for that persons needs. I hav a similar question. I am using a Optiplex 3020 with 16 Gb ram and a GeForce video card that requires 450 watt power supply per its specs which will be displaying to 4 tvs for a security system. Is there a larger power supply available for it ? These are machines which we purchase for our corporation for various mainly point of sale usage and I don't have a lot of choice in selecting a different machine?
0 Kudos
vinhtq115
2 Iron

Jump to solution

No. I think you may need a graphic card with lower watts usage. Max power supply of this Dell is 290 ( or 300 in US).

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

The PSU in the TOWER can be updated with an adapter.

Dell OptiPlex 3020 PSU Main Power 24-Pin to 8-Pin Adapter Cable (30cm)

Suitable for Dell OptiPlex 3020 / 7020 / 9020 / T1700

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cab...

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Jump to solution

Hi speedstep,

I am considering getting this adapter as I am in the same situation. A couple of questions:

Is it straightforward to mount a standard ATX PSU in the 3020 case?

The Dell PSU has 2 cables going to the board - an 8 pin connector (which the adapter clearly has) and a 4 pin connector (which the adapter doesn't). What would replace the 4 pin connector?

Thanks

0 Kudos
quickfixbryant
1 Copper

Jump to solution

To add to this, even if it has enough wattage IT WILL NOT WORK.  The reason is that the Dell PSU only has two connectors.  The 8 pin Mobo connector and the 4 pin CPU connector.  Sata power actually comes off the mobo as well.  This means that if you have a video card that requires an extra power connection, you do not have it and cannot use the card.

The only solution then is a different PSU and the mentioned adapter cable.

0 Kudos