Highlighted
QuackenBush
1 Copper

Performance not up to scratch and Strange Crashes

Jump to solution

I bought the Dell XPS 8300 at the beginning of November of last year, I bought the PC mainly to play games. I know it's not the best system for games but I thought it would certainly suit me. Shortly after I bought it I noticed games weren't running as well as I hoped them to, the games weren't running particularly badly but looking at my requirements they should've ran better. However I ignored this relatively small problem simply because I thought I could solve the problem messing around with a few game settings. So I didn't think it was a hardware problem.

Then today all whilst playing a game my computer crashed 3 times. But these weren't normal crashes the screen went grey, the background sounds repeated themselves constantly and even after leaving my computer like this for over 20 minutes nothing changed. Ctrl+Alt+Delete didn't work, you name it, the only way out was to turn the computer off by holding down the power button. Also each of the three times this happened I was playing a different game, so it couldn't be a problem with the game.

As a final note, all my drivers are up to date, and I have top-end anti-virus software installed, so I doubt it's a virus or any form of malware.

Does anyone here an idea why I am experiencing these problems?

Thanks. =]

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Performance not up to scratch and Strange Crashes

Jump to solution

Dell engineers have identified three possible root causes to this lockup symptom -
1. BIOS CPU power management
2. Loose AMD 6770/6870 GPUs
3. Possibly defective main memory modules

BIOS CPU power management
* Turn on (or restart) your computer
* When the DELL logo is displayed, watch for the F2 prompt to appear and then press F2 immediately
* Go to Advanced- CPU Configuration
* Disable CPU C6 Report
* Press F10 and exit the Bios saving your change
* Once into windows, restart the PC one more time
* Test the PC for lockups

Loose GPU
* If lockups still occur, power the PC off. Open the case cover. Does your AMD Radeon HD6770/6870 video card have a black bracket affixing the rear of the video card to the chassis via two screws? If not, I need to ship the Graphics Card Holding Bracket part number V32TR out to you. Send me a private message with your service tag, email, shipping address, phone number.

Defective RAM
* The next item to check is your memory. If you have GR82X 1GB or 9V62Y 4GB memory sticks, remove it from the system and retest for lockups. Download and run CPU-Z (http://bit.ly/d6zD2j). Click the SPD tab to identify your memory. So if you had that memory in the white slots, remove it and move the other memory into the white slots. If the lockups cease when the memory sticks are removed from the PC, we need to replace the memory with a different vendor memory. If your in the Americas, send me a private message with your service tag, email, shipping address, phone number. Outside of the Americas, contact Dell Support for your country and explain that the memory will need to be changed.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

There are Dell hardware diagnostics, accessed by F12 at power on.  First step, run a complete hardware diagnostic.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Dell engineers have identified three possible root causes to this lockup symptom -
1. BIOS CPU power management
2. Loose AMD 6770/6870 GPUs
3. Possibly defective main memory modules

BIOS CPU power management
* Turn on (or restart) your computer
* When the DELL logo is displayed, watch for the F2 prompt to appear and then press F2 immediately
* Go to Advanced- CPU Configuration
* Disable CPU C6 Report
* Press F10 and exit the Bios saving your change
* Once into windows, restart the PC one more time
* Test the PC for lockups

Loose GPU
* If lockups still occur, power the PC off. Open the case cover. Does your AMD Radeon HD6770/6870 video card have a black bracket affixing the rear of the video card to the chassis via two screws? If not, I need to ship the Graphics Card Holding Bracket part number V32TR out to you. Send me a private message with your service tag, email, shipping address, phone number.

Defective RAM
* The next item to check is your memory. If you have GR82X 1GB or 9V62Y 4GB memory sticks, remove it from the system and retest for lockups. Download and run CPU-Z (http://bit.ly/d6zD2j). Click the SPD tab to identify your memory. So if you had that memory in the white slots, remove it and move the other memory into the white slots. If the lockups cease when the memory sticks are removed from the PC, we need to replace the memory with a different vendor memory. If your in the Americas, send me a private message with your service tag, email, shipping address, phone number. Outside of the Americas, contact Dell Support for your country and explain that the memory will need to be changed.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)