Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2010 06:00

Please, Dell, Provide XP Drivers For Zino

I know Vista and Windows 7 are the only officially-supported Microsoft OS flavors, but please consider providing (even with no support?) an XP driver for the Conexant CX20561 (AKA hd audio smartaudio 221) built into the Zino. The little box is perfect as a barebones XP system, with the sound card the only device for which an XP driver can't be found. Please. Conexant says they don't provide drivers directly to consumers at the request of OEMs such as Dell, that the OEM is the only source for such support.

Thanks for listening,

4 Posts

June 14th, 2010 13:00

Scott and others --

I have a new Zino 400 that I need to run Windows XP Pro on for a museum exhibit. When I start the installation, I get a blue screen and a stop error after it has been stepping through the DOS screens preparing Setup. I'm not conversant enough with Windows installs to know if this is to be expected, given the discussion in this thread (i.e., is this a consequence of not having the correct audio driver?), or if I should be able to get Win XP installed with no problem and THEN find driver issues.

I can probably live without the audio, but need to get XP installed so I can at least find out whether it's going to work with the exhibit equipment. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Note that after getting this error a couple times, I then wiped the drive, ran system diagnostics (no problems found), and tried the install again with the same result. Then tried a different install disk -- same result.

Thanks!

Brian

--------------------------------------------- ERROR MESSAGE (IN PART) ---------------------------------------------------

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down...

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

Well, I have been successful at making sure the Zino HD will work in both Windows XP and Windows Home Server (WHS v1). My next step will be to beta test it in a Windows Home Server V2 (code name WHS “Vail”) 64-bit environment. Thus far, this little guy is very snappy and runs these older OS's very well. This is my current setup:

Zino HD (Inspiron 400)

AMD Athlon X2 3250e (1.5Ghz)

4GB DDR2 800MHz (CL=6.6.6.18)

500GB Western Digital HDD (Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS)

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 14th, 2010 14:00

That error means either you didn't load the SATA driver from a floppy at the beginning of the XP installation, or you didn't change the BIOS setting for SATA Mode to ATA.

I tend to doubt you have a floppy drive, so you're going to have to change BIOS and then install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager after the XP installation is complete. After it's installed, you'll need to reboot, go back into BIOS and change the SATA setting to AHCI.

The SATA Mode setting is under Integrated Peripherals Configuration in BIOS.

Ron

9 Posts

June 16th, 2010 19:00

I agree with Ron. The best thing to do is change the drive setting in the BIOS to standard ATA mode for Windows XP. The setup/install will then go fine.

Scott-

4 Posts

June 17th, 2010 08:00

Ron and Scott --

Sorry for the delay in responding. It was only late yesterday that I got a chance to try this. Wow, right on the the button -- Setup came up and was progressing just fine through reformatting the HD and starting to copy files for install...until it came up saying that it couldn't find "viafir2k.inf". I told it to skip that file, but then it came up with one file after the other that it couldn't find. I bailed at that point, planning on tackling it again today. I have no idea what the problem is -- I appear to have a standard Win XP Pro installation disk with SP2 with 2 CPU licenses included (bought on eBay). Any further thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 17th, 2010 10:00

Did you disconnect all peripherals (ncluding network/modem cable), except mouse, monitor and keyboard before starting the install?

viafir2k.inf appears to be some kind of infrared device driver from Via Technologies. So do you have a remote control device associated with this system? I found it on my Dell desktop with XPpro SP3, but I don't have any IR devices, so it appears to be installed during a standard Windows installation.

Did you by chance buy an OEM version of XP which may only allow it to be installed on systems made by a particular manufacturer? Dell's OEM XP can only be installed on a Dell PC...

Ron

4 Posts

June 17th, 2010 13:00

OK, I'm not exactly sure what the fix was, but after disconnecting the ethernet cable per your suggestion (the only extraneous cable I had connected),

I still got the missing file error, but for a different file. For the heck of it, I shut down and restarted the installation. It then progressed through normally to the activation key screen

where I then found that the key given me at the time of the eBay purchase is not valid, but that's another issue....

Once I've resolved this and XP is installed, I'll reset the BIOS SATA setting to AHCI, as you suggest.

BTW, this was a standard (non-OEM) install disk.

Thanks VERY much for all the help! I definitely couldn't have gotten this far without it. 

Brian

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 17th, 2010 15:00

Glad you got this far, but you're NOT done yet! :emotion-3:

If the installation CD wasn't XP SP3, you still have to install the service pack (free download from Microsoft) plus all the other Microsoft updates that came out after SP3.

And if it were me, I'd run a system file check on the current installation (affer you get a valid key) before updating to SP3 etc. Sfc will check the installation for any missing or corrupted Windows files. You may want to do that, especially given the way you got XP to install. After you update the hard drive with the XP Service Pack, you won't be able to run sfc using this installation CD ever again.

To run sfc,

Click: start>run

Type in: sfc /scannow   

Click ok

Insert XP CD if requested and reboot when it's done.

And remember, you have to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager before you change BIOS to AHCI again. I'd run sfc first, and then manually set a System Restore point before installing IMSM, just to be safe.

Having fun?

Ron

4 Posts

June 18th, 2010 08:00

Ron & Scott --

Thanks for all the information. I'll have to digest it this weekend. And in answer to Ron's question -- No, not much fun! :-(

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have some questions soon.

Brian

9 Posts

June 18th, 2010 12:00

I would not suggest turning the AHCI back on for any OS prior to Vista/Win7. It will be just as snappy and probably more reliable in Win XP keeping it set to standard ATA. At least that is what I have found. To clarify, the Inspiron 400 (Zino HD) uses the ATI chipset. The Inspiron 300 uses the Intel chipset. In the end, you will be having fun and will have gained some valuable knowledge too for the future! :emotion-11:

Scott-

4 Posts

July 26th, 2010 12:00

6. Now, it is time to install the elusive secondary audio device, which is the actually ATI HDMI audio that many confuse to be an additional part of the Conexant device, which it is not. You can get the HDMI audio installer utility here:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/hdmiaudio-xp

Again, manually point to and install the driver if the automatic utility doesn’t do its job.

Having a hard time with this driver.  The properties for the device are HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5051&SUBSYS_1028040F&REV_1000\4&1201A57D&0&0301

When I try to update the driver by pointing to ...\drivers\wdm\hdmi\xp, windows reports that the folder doesn't contain the proper software.  I ran the Catalyst setup and it reports that everything installed, but apparently something is amiss.  Would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

9 Posts

July 27th, 2010 00:00

4 Posts

July 27th, 2010 07:00

I did, but it doesn't work either.  I think the problem is that the hardware descriptor doesn't match anything in the .inf file. 

The hardware descriptor is
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5051&SUBSYS_1028040F&REV_1000

The .inf file only has these entries:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_793C&SUBSYS_00793C00&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_791A&SUBSYS_00791A00&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1002
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA11
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA09
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA19

If I knew which subsection applied, I could mod the .inf file, but I am clueless.  FWIW, I tried modding the first entry.  That installed and caused a BSOD! 

Again, appreciate any assistance available.

4 Posts

July 27th, 2010 07:00

SUCCESS!

I downloaded the ConexantHDAudio 221_XP driver, then modded the .inf file (changed SUBSYS to match the hardware ID).  It loaded and no BSOD.

9 Posts

July 27th, 2010 09:00

Excellent. :emotion-11:

Yes, modifying the .ini seems to be the case in a few areas. It is good you got it all running. If you want me to add your updated file to the downloads I am hosting for Dell users, just let me know.

Scott-

4 Posts

July 27th, 2010 11:00

I tried attaching an updated driver zip file with the changed .inf included, but got this error:

Only files with the following extensions are allowed: gif, jpg, jpeg, png, bmp, txt, avi, wmv, asf, flv, dat, rm, rmvb, mov, mpeg, avi, wmv, wma, mp3, ra .

So I posted it at www.ifspa.com/files/Zino_XP_HDMI_Driver.zip for the next 30 days or so.

No Events found!