Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2010 06:00

Please, Dell, Provide XP Drivers For Zino

I know Vista and Windows 7 are the only officially-supported Microsoft OS flavors, but please consider providing (even with no support?) an XP driver for the Conexant CX20561 (AKA hd audio smartaudio 221) built into the Zino. The little box is perfect as a barebones XP system, with the sound card the only device for which an XP driver can't be found. Please. Conexant says they don't provide drivers directly to consumers at the request of OEMs such as Dell, that the OEM is the only source for such support.

Thanks for listening,

3 Posts

July 31st, 2010 17:00

I seem to be having trouble installing the driver for the ATI Mobility RadeonHD 4330 I have tried the ATI catalyst 10-6 and 10-7 ccc install.  I have also noticed the rear USB ports don't work.  The CCC install indicates a failure

Can anyone help? 

3 Posts

July 31st, 2010 22:00

I have made some success. I was finally able to improve the graphics performance by manually installing a Radeon HD 4300/4500 series Display Adapter driver (not via CCC) I still have a problem in that the rear audio is much worst than the front audio jack.

Why am I having difficulty and no one else is?

February 28th, 2011 06:00

I definitely second the request for XP drivers!

Recently I bought a Zino HD 410 with the lowest specs (Athelon II P340 / integrated Radeon HD 4250).

Thanks to advices here, I installed XP Pro after changing BIOS host controller mode from AHCI to ATA.

The XP driver for the network adapter (Atheros AR8151) could be obtained from the Atheros website with ease.

The display driver for HD 4250 was a definite challenge.  An improvised solution was provided courtesy of "modded" Radeon Display Drivers for XP from Hardwareheaven.com.  It works flawlessly at 1680x1050, and I will try 1920x1200 in a short order.

Currently the little box is running XP Pro like a charm indeed.

However, as expected I have no sound.  That's hardly a deal-breaker since I don't really need it anyway for my purpose.  And I think a USB sound bar may work ...

In addition, there is this SM Bus Controller driver that's missing ... not sure what the long-term consequence would be.  So far there hasn't been any hint of instability.

Time will tell.

It would be nice, however, if Dell can point the way as to where we may be able to obtain the drivers for XP, even while sans support as others have said.  Clearly those of us who install XP on our own don't expect any support from Dell ... just "as is" tips and suggestions if possible.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 28th, 2011 10:00

SM Bus Controller is part of the Intel Chipset driver. So it sounds like you didn't install the chipset as the very first driver loaded after you installed XP.

And the absence of the chipset driver could explain the lack of sound too. Many/most drivers won't install or won't work if the chipset driver wasn't installed beforehand.  :emotion-5:

I don't know what chipset is in ths model, so you'll have to poke around to find an Intel chipset driver that works with what you have. Then reboot in Safe Mode and install the chipset. When that's done, reboot normally. Then you may need to uninstall the sound card drivers in Device Manager, reboot and reinstall the sound driver again.

I make no promises, but without a functional chipset driver, sound is very unlikely.

Ron

February 28th, 2011 10:00

You are quite right RoHe.  I did not install the chipset driver since I couldn't find an XP version for the AMD M880G Chipset that I believe is used in the Zino HD 410.  I think it's the "Danube" platform (AMD RS880 series chipset + SB820 southbridge).  If anyone knows for certain, it would be Dell.

I suppose I could have tried installing the Win 7 driver for the "SB820" chipset on Dell's support site ... but I thought why risk incompatibility on something that is more or less functioning right now.

As I said, one way or another sound is not a big deal to me.  In the past I have used USB sound devices (headset or speaker) since they come with essentially a "sound card" built right into the devices themselves. 

Anyhow, what moderately concerns me is the the lack of driver for the SM Bus Controller even though the machine has been running so far without a glitch.  I googled "SM Bus Controller" and got a general impression of  what it does ... but what it is supposed to do specifically on Zino HD 410 I don't have any clue.

If anyone knows where I can get the XP-compatible chipset driver for Zino HD 410 motherboard, I would be more than happy to give it a try.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 28th, 2011 11:00

Shows what I know!

Didn't realize this is an AMD-based system. So you can ignore what I said about installing Intel chipset drivers and look for a driver that will work with the AMD chipset.

I tend to doubt a Win 7 driver is going to work with XP, so that may not be a good one to try. Does AMD have a user forum? Or maybe contact their tech support to see if they can be of any help.

Ron

4 Posts

June 29th, 2011 06:00

Hi,

I'm looking for wireless driver for XP but I did not find it yet. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Massimo

4 Posts

July 6th, 2011 02:00

Hi,

sorry for this "UP", but I really need this driver and my search in Internet does not help me.

Any chance to get this driver?

Thanks,

Massimo

9 Posts

July 6th, 2011 08:00

Which wireless card do you have? If you do not know, what is your service tag number?

Scott-

4 Posts

July 6th, 2011 09:00

Hi and thanks for your reply.

The wireless card is one of those two:

1397 and 1510

As I mentioned before, my search on internet to find out a compatible driver for those wireless cards went wrong.

Thanks again,

Massimo

9 Posts

July 6th, 2011 10:00

It also looks like your system, based on the service tag, has the Dell (Broadcom) 1397 wifi card so the link above should work fine.

Enjoy,

Scott

9 Posts

Go here to download the Windows XP driver package for both the 1397 and 1510 wireless cards: support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

This is for the business class E6400, but the wireless card is the same and will work in the Zino HD.

Scott-

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Mcanonico- Never post your Service Tag number in an open forum. Aside from being a violation of the forum's terms of use, it's also a very unwise move because it may allow someone to gain access to your personal info.

I'm not saying other users in this thread will use your tag number for bad things, but think about all the scammers, hackers etc etc that may have your Service Tag now. You should edit your post to remove the Service Tag or the forum moderators may delete your posts. And treat your Service Tag like you would any other confidential info.

Be net safe! :emotion-5:

Ron

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 6th, 2011 16:00

You would be better heard by posting this request on IdeaStorm.

4 Posts

July 10th, 2011 07:00

Thanks! It works! How did you find it? I was looking for on Internet with no success. I have to find out a driver for Audio Card and bus controller. Thank again!

No Events found!