Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2009 12:00

Please HELP! Dell Dimension 9100... Blue Screen --> Hardware Buzzing Noises --> Won't boot up

Hi,

I just recently reformatted my computer with Windows XP. Today I was installing a bunch of drivers that I had forgotten to the last time (sound, Intel chip set, bios upgrade), and the blue screen of death appears. I restart, but now the computer is making a buzzing noise that originates from the hardware.

I looked on the support and the forums. I've disconnected everything from the MB and when I turn on the power the light sequence seems to stop with 34 lit up, suggesting a memory problem?

The buzzing noise is persistent 1) when there is no memory installed 2) when either one of the memory cards are installed 3) when both of them are installed.

There are 5-7 buzzes in total. I'm not quite sure what this means...

*very frustrated and a bit sad*

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 10th, 2009 12:00

tianyi 

Are installing XP, did you install the drivers in the correct order? 

See HERE

Are there any error messages, if there are please post the exact text of them?

Have you tied installing the modules, one at a time in different slots?

Are the 'Buzzy' noises 'Beeps'.

The diagnostic codes are HERE.

Bev.

2 Posts

June 10th, 2009 15:00

I wasn't sure of the "correct order" to install the drivers, so probably not. I'm sure I installed the video one first, but may have forgotten about the Desktop System Software or Chipset Drivers.

There are no error messages. The monitor remains a black screen. I cannot get to the bios screen (Dell screen) to change my bios settings.

Yes the buzzy noises are beeps, and it doesn't seem to follow any of the patterns listed in the beep codes. It's just 5 or 7 longer beeps/buzzes that are about the same length and the same length apart.

I asked a friend, and he said that because the computer restarted while I was updating my bios, most likely my motherboard got shot. Is there any way to recover it short of buying a new MB?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 10th, 2009 18:00

tianyi

You definitely need to install the DSS first, followed by the Chipset driver, before any of the others drivers.

If you have a failed BIOS update, then the usual fix is to replace the motherboard, but you try clearing the CMOS and see what happens.

Bev.

No Events found!