Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

August 28th, 2004 22:00

Please Recommend

I have a Dimension 4600C with the Intel 82865G Graphics Controller 64 MB video card.  Needless to say I have encounter numerous problems with trying to play several PC games that require a better video card.

This is the minimum requirement for a video card:
32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator with Hardware T&L capability

But with the slim tower, I think my choices for a good video card are limited.  Can someone recommend the best one that would fit in my computer?  Much appreciated.

August 29th, 2004 04:00

Hey, I had the same or closely related problem with my 4500s. Since it doenst have an AGP slot for any good AGP cards I tried instead buying the highest performance PCI card I could get. I got the FX5700LE, I just placed an order for it so I cant say how good it is yet, but i'll keep you posted on that if you want to try it out or something but if you have an AGP slot then by all means get an AGP card and dont go for the PCI. Heres the link if you want to check it out http://www.amamax.com/gefx5712ddr1.html. If you do have an AGP slot i suggest getting the Radeon 9800 pro, or the GeForce 6800 Ultra.

4 Posts

August 30th, 2004 18:00

Pardon my newbieness (both in computers and video cards), but what's the difference between an AGP slot and a PCI slot?  I checked the specs of the 4600c and it looks like it could come with two optional cards:

1) 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics card
2) 64MB DDR ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9000 with Remote Control (4X AGP)

Message Edited by hobbesNY on 08-30-2004 02:15 PM

3.9K Posts

August 31st, 2004 00:00

AGP was the replacement for PCI for video cards.  Your system probably has AGP 4x, which lets the video card exchange data with the rest of the system 8 times faster than through a PCI connection.  Companies continue to make PCI video cards because of the number of low-end systems without AGP slots, but they only make very low-end video cards for PCI.  Unfortunatly in these slim form factor systems, you're stuck finding something that'll physically fit in your system.

(PCIe is the eventual replacement for both AGP and PCI.)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 31st, 2004 15:00

hobbesNY,

* Go here for the low profile HIS Hightech ATI RADEON 9600SE AGP 128MB DDR
Video Card

4 Posts

August 31st, 2004 18:00

Thank you for the recommendations everyone.  I'll do a little bit more research and hopefully won't have any more problems with my video card :)

4 Posts

September 30th, 2004 14:00

I finally saved enough money to purchase the card that Chris M. recommended, but now the link doesn't seem to work and newegg.com doesn't seem to be offering that particular card anymore.  Anyone know where else I can find this card?
No Events found!