Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

January 13th, 2009 13:00

Please help! Startup error message about bios

When I start my Dell 9200 (XPS 410), I get an error message that says:

"PnP and PCI compliant bios not present"

There's a line before that that says something like "HCI bios not present," but I can't recall the exact wording.

To get my computer to start I need to reboot several times, but obviously something is seriously wrong.

I am using Vista, and I have not altered the setup or added any new software in at least a few weeks. (I also have good virus protection, etc.)

Any thoughts on what's wrong with my computer and how I can get it to start reliably?

Thanks.

3 Posts

February 12th, 2010 14:00

I also have a Dimension 9200 and I get the same error just recently, except I cannot get my computer to go into Windows no matter how many times I restart.  I always get the same message:

"System BIOS does not support BBS"

"PnP and PCI compliant BIOS not PresentFloppy diskette seek failure"

I've already changed the battery that sits on the motherboard (CR 2032) for a new one but I am having trouble figuring out the right steps to flash my BIOS.  I already have the latest BIOS for our Dell 9200, a file called "DXP061-020503.EXE" but how can I get it to load  into DOS?

I tried changing the boot order to USB first so that I can flash the BIOS through a USB drive as explained here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=246530 but it doesn't do anything when I plug in the USB.  I still cannot get a DOS prompt.

Next I'm going to change the boot order to CD-ROM first and try creating a bootable CD-ROM using Nero to see if that works. 

It's oddly comforting that I'm not the only one having this problem, but  I'm not as computer savvy as I used to be so I have to resort to Googling everything I don't understand.  But since there isn't that much help from Google I hope there's someone out there that can help give us a solution.

3 Posts

February 12th, 2010 15:00

Ok, booting from the CD-ROM doesn't do anything either. 

The bootable CD-R inside the CD-ROM doesn't even start spinning when I restart the computer.

It keeps saying the same error message.   I even tried reseting the cpu to factory default settings but I'm getting no where.   If I could just get a DOS prompt then I would be making some kind of progress.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 12th, 2010 18:00

What color are the diagnostic LEDs on front of the tower when it won't boot? If they don't flash on/off and then all go off, look up the error code here <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

When you removed the battery, you reset BIOS to factory defaults. The default setting for the floppy drive controller is ON, even if you don't have an internal floppy drive. Reboot and immediately press F2 to run BIOS setup. If you get into BIOS, look for the Diskette Drive option and change the setting to None (off).  That will fix the floppy drive error.

If you see Virtualization and/or SpeedStep options listed in BIOS, turn them off. (Not all systems will have these options, depending the CPU installed)

Look at the BIOS Event Log and copy what it says. Then clear the log, exit setup and see if you can boot now.

Ron

3 Posts

February 13th, 2010 14:00

"What color are the diagnostic LEDs on front of the tower when it won't boot? If they don't flash on/off and then all go off, look up the error code here.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>"

Thank you very much, RoHe.  I had no idea what those numbered lights meant until now.  That was the ticket to solving my problem asap.  I guess I didn't even need to change the battery or flash the BIOS.  Apparently,  it  was only a conflict with one of my expansion cards (lights 1&2).  So I tried removing my 3-yr old X-Fi sound card  and it works 100% now.  You, sir, are a blessing to the forums.

I don't know if  the OP will be able to benefit from this solution, but as far as I'm concerned my problem has now been SOLVED!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 13th, 2010 17:00

moSom- Glad you solved the problem. Did you recently install that sound card? Or was it always there? If it was added recently, did you install the correct driver for the card, one that's compatible with your version of Windows?

lmullin -Have you tried any of my suggestions to fix your problem?

Ron

No Events found!