Highlighted
Geoffreyg123
1 Copper

Plugging XPS900 into socket, should it come on temporarily before being switched on?

I live in an area with an irregular voltage supply and high probability of power surges. I have my XPS plugged into a ups unit and after I fully shut down the desktop I then unplug it from the UPS to avoid any risk of power surges. When I plug the computer back into the UPS, before I turn it on, it seems to power up temporarily - the power switch comes on and it makes some sound, then it goes off and it turns on fine when I switch it on.

Question is is this normal? I would have expected no activity at all when plugging the unit in.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7 Plutonium

RE: Plugging XPS900 into socket, should it come on temporarily before being switched on?

That is normal.  There is a wake setting and a setting in bios to turn on after power loss.  There is a flag in cmos where the system can tell if it was shut down or the power cord jerked out to get it off.

EPS12V systems are never truely OFF because 5V stanby is always on when the power supply has power coming in via  the plug.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro