Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2010 12:00

Poor Sound Volume and Quality Issue

Ok..I’m going to start my post over again since Dell apparently didn’t like my last post criticizing their customer service and deleted it within 15 minutes. Don’t believe the disclaimer on here that Dell doesn’t regularly monitor the forum posts. I used the c word that rhymes with “scrappy” and the s word that rhymes with “ducks” in my post and the automated bot report says it was deleted due to use of profanity. I bet if I used the s word to describe a competitor’s customer service it would have been fine.

Anyways, skipping my issues with Dell, I am hoping someone on here can provide some help or insight to my audio problem. I previously had a Dell Dimension 8400 and just bought a Dell Studio XPS8100 system on which I am using the Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers System from the 8400. My old system had Sound Blaster Live 24bit, Advanced HD Audio, 100db/Dolby Digital/96KHz/7.1 (Item #: 313-2431, Parts #: R4388). My new system has RealTek Audio Manager with THX TruStudio PC on it.

My problem is that the volume and sound quality with the new system is not comparable with the old system. The old system could literally rock the room. The sound with the new system is not as loud and more tinny. For some reason instead of a unified audio management system you now have to play with settings on RealTek’s audio manager and a separate set of controls with the THX. Whose bright idea was that? There are also no controls to adjust things like bass, treble etc with either RealTek or the THX. I have tested the 5 speakers with RealTek Audio Manager and they are all working for the surround sound as well as the powered subwoofer. My old system (Dimension 8400) had Sound Blaster Live 24bit, Advanced HD Audio, 100db/Dolby Digital/96KHz/7.1 (Item #: 313-2431, Parts #: R4388). I have adjusted all the volume controls on ReaTek and THX, but so far the sound does not match the sound from my old computer in terms of quality and especially volume.

I contacted Dell the first couple of days after I received the computer and asked for their suggestions. The rep said that the THX is a high end card (better than my old one). A second email informed me that my computer shipped with a “trial version” (my invoice doesn’t say anything about a “trial version”) of THX TruStudio PC which only enhances sound quality and that RealTek amplifies the sound. He also said the Studio XPS 8100 does not have a dedicated sound card like the Dimension 8400 had. So it was recommended that I buy a sound card, a Titanium something card (whose link from the email to the Dell site no longer works) for about $140. The repsaid he had the Titanium card on his computer.

After asking why in the “build” part of my computer both online and with a phone rep I was not offered a chance to buy a sound card (they certainly work hard at getting you to add lots of other stuff like using Dell financing, etc.),another rep called me (for some reason all Dell reps from other countries have names that begin with S..like Shravan and Sahib, etc. and have accents that are difficult to understand).and told me that if I purchased a Titanium card that Dell would send out a rep to install the card free. This rep never followed up with an email, of course. Two weeks later another rep contacted me from across the seas and told me after review, I could buy the sound card but Dell was not responsible for installing it. I would have to install it myself or pay for someone to do that. I guess Dell giveth and Dell taketh away.

So skipping my issues with Dell, my questions then are:

(1)   Does anyone know what the story is with this “trial” version of THX?

(2)   If I buy that Titanium sound card, does it replace something in another slot in the back or will this be a total add-on?

(3)   Any other suggestions as to why the sound on a supposedly superior computer with THX has inferior sound to a 5 year old Dell Dimension?

Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone might have (that is if Dell monitors who supposedly don’t monitor the forums don’t delete me once again for insubordination and questioning the “Gods” of Dell).

72 Posts

June 24th, 2011 02:00

5/15

72 Posts

June 24th, 2011 11:00

6/26

72 Posts

July 13th, 2011 23:00

replying via services

72 Posts

July 15th, 2011 07:00

Test

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 15th, 2011 08:00

1. THX is not a "trial" version, but it is an OEM only software package for "enhancing" integrated audio systems such as the RealTek (and RealTek is used by many PC and motherboard manufacturers, not just Dell).   Creative web page for OEM THX Tru Studio  (Doing a google search for this, I saw that Acer is also using this).

2.  If you buy a separate sound card it will require an open slot (and as all new model SoundBlaster Xfi's are PCieX1, it will require an open PCIeX1 slot), it doesn't replace any existing cards as the RealTek is a chip on the motherboard. The 8100 has two PCIeX1 card slots.   If you add a separate sound card you will need to disable the Integrated audio in the BIOS (F2 - Setup) so it does not conflict with the new sound card.  There can be an issue with connection to the front panel headphone and mic jacks but from other posts, new/newer systems use standard ATX HD audio connections so you probably will be able move the connector from the motherboard to the new sound card.   If you decide you want a separate sound card, it's the user's responsibility to install it or have it installed, even if you buy it from Dell.

How to install PCI Express cards in 8100 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

3.  That is subjective, many consider the Integrated audio systems, even without the added THX software very good, others such as yourself do not consider them adequate.  It's a personal choice and has nothing to do with the PC Model as the same RealTek is used on many different price range models and even on Laptops.   Add on sound cards are not as common or "required" like they were on older PC's, the advancement in "quality" of the Integrated audio chips (for most) has negated the need for most users to buy a separate sound card; thus they are not even offered as a new PC purchase option on many models.

72 Posts

July 18th, 2011 08:00

Test

72 Posts

July 18th, 2011 09:00

Test

72 Posts

July 18th, 2011 22:00

replying via services

72 Posts

July 19th, 2011 03:00

replying via services

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 19th, 2011 04:00

I see different date/time posts to this thread, but I don't see the new posts????

72 Posts

July 22nd, 2011 11:00

replying via services

72 Posts

August 10th, 2011 02:00

replying via services

72 Posts

August 10th, 2011 02:00

replying via services

72 Posts

August 11th, 2011 04:00

replying via services