Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2013 08:00

Possible E510 and Windows 7 compatibility problem?

Hello,

I have a 2007 Dell E510, 4gb ram, 500w power supply, Two HD's [160gb with XP Pro, 500gb with Windows 7 Home Premium}. I've tried sooo long to get this W7 to be a reliable daily user but finally had to give up. The XP Pro drive will have to be my workhorse for as long as possible. With Firefox as it's browser, it's smooth, rocket fast, and flawless. I also have a 500gb Vista drive stored for this that seems to work fine.

Windows 7 goes into spasms whenever coming out sleep mode [fatal errors and all]. The only way to avoid this is to signal it once to awaken then walk away from it for 10  minutes. Any coaxing it before that by clicking on anything will invite the crash. I've reinstalled W7 three times from three different disc sources with the same results. So the OS software does not seem to be related to this issue. When I do a restart or cold boot everything is fine. But I can't be cold rebooting all day on a regular basis. Sleep mode is the only problem but it makes Windows 7 totally unreliable as a daily user. I've done lots of research on this, tried suggestions and checked with a few forums for, on and off, about 6-8 months.  No positive results though. I've just gotten weary and given up on it for now.

Anyone else ever had this problem caused by hardware or settings?

Thanks friends for any suggestions.

T'care,

Mike

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 9th, 2013 09:00

Anytime! Let us know how it works out.

82 Posts

May 9th, 2013 09:00

Hi, me again already,

It does not want to do the A07 update for me. I read somewhere that with W7 already installed it is too late; that it would have installed it on XP. 

However, XP Pro is my other HHD on this computer. So if I were to switch back over to that HHD and install A07, then my W7 drive should be all set. Right??

Thanks again,

Mike

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 9th, 2013 10:00

The BIOS update has nothing to do with the operating system, so rest assured that you can update your 5150 to A07.

As for installing it, I believe it must be done from a DOS-booted storage device like a floppy or USB key. That's how I've always updated the BIOS on my older Dells (of which I have several). If you don't have a floppy, you should be able to format a USB key with DOS and boot from that for the upgrade.

82 Posts

May 9th, 2013 12:00

I do have a new Sabrent/Teac USB external floppy drive hooked up to this so I think I will try using that.  At least it will give me a chance to use it once in over a  year and a half!

I'll holler back,

Thank you,

Mike

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 9th, 2013 15:00

We'll be here.

82 Posts

May 10th, 2013 15:00

Hi rdunnill,

I got the A07 update done. What I was referring to earlier about reading something turned out to be a discussion on this forum a couple years ago or so. It was also very correct. When I went to the Dell site to download A07, IF I was using the Windows 7 HD, it would downright refuse to allow it. Whether I chose to "run" the reflash right then, save the file in my documents, or save it to a floppy disc, the result was the same; No Go. It gave a new excuse every time. First one was, I must be signed in as the administrator. So I played the "enable the hidden administrator account" game. The next excuse was "An error was encountered trying to config Windows version to allow flashing" and on and on.

When I went there using my XP drive, it worked like a champ; whatever method I wanted to use.

When I tried later to use the floppy, when using the W7 HD, it refused again with yet another new excuse: "This version of Windows requires all drivers to have a valid digital signature. Driver unavailable & the program that uses this driver [program: DellBIOS] might not work correctly".

So, thanks to XP, the A07 BIOS update is now installed and working. Unfortunately the 'resuming from sleep' problem is still there. I'm sure something will pop up some day. 'Til then the E510 is still a great Desktop!

Thank you again,

Mike

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 10th, 2013 22:00

I tried sleep mode with my Dimension 3100 (which was a budget version of the E510/5150) and it resumes back within a few seconds. This particular Dell is configured with Windows 8 Professional 64-bit, 4gb G.SKILL PC6400 memory,  Kingston SSD and HIS 6450 PCIe-x1 video card.

For all the bad things people say about Windows 8, it works very nicely on  this eight-year-old Dell. And the HIS 6450 PCIe-x1 works wonders in bringing the video into the modern age of HDMI widescreen monitors.

82 Posts

May 11th, 2013 06:00

Good mornin' to you,

I would try W8 on this but just can't afford it right now. Something way back in my mind gnaws at me that maybe I should have wiped this drive completely [dban, zeros only] before installing W7 this last time. It's a new 500gb WD drive but the installation before this last one supposedly had some corrupt files [per Microsoft]. I know we are told it's not necessary to wipe a drive if we do a new, full, clean installation; which I did. It's just something that is now nagging at me.

Also, I just switched to my VISTA HD on this and notice it also has lag coming out of sleep. Nothing as severe as W7 though; snaps out of it in about 2 minutes or less.

T'care,

Mike

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 11th, 2013 10:00

Have you tried Intel's download site for the latest chipset drivers?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 11th, 2013 19:00

Follow Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

This will instruct through clean installation and use of DBAN which was mentioned above.

Use the following Drivers here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/4642.dimension-5150c-windows-7-64-bit.aspx

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 11th, 2013 19:00

It's a new 500gb WD drive but the installation before this last one supposedly had some corrupt files [per Microsoft]. I know we are told it's not necessary to wipe a drive if we do a new, full, clean installation; which I did. It's just something that is now nagging at me.

I won't rule it out 100%, but more likely it's something you've installed that's causing this. Then again, if you didn't use bootrec /FIXMBR after reformatting over the original install, the original Master Boot Record will still be in use and if something has hooked it, it may still be loading.

Hot tip: although funds may be lacking, an SSD as a primary boot drive (use the spindle drive for data and applications) will radically boost performance.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 13th, 2013 12:00

I'm going to be installing Windows 7 on a 5150 (same machine, different name) and I'll see if I can reproduce this error.

You might try looking in "View Performance Details" in the Windows Event Log. That might pinpoint the culprit, which I suspect is a device driver.

82 Posts

May 13th, 2013 12:00

Hello,

Just reporting back.

I wiped this drive totally bare with dban. Then did a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit and left it with nothing else downloaded or connected. All I did was the MS updates and activated it and it was STILL a struggle to get it to resume from sleep. The best I can do is 4 minutes. Then I installed MSSE and went to the ATI AMD site and loaded the full graphics driver package for the new card. None of it made a difference; still four minutes. I guess this is proof enough for me.

I think I have to accept the fact that this E510 will never be totally compatible with W7. It performs really well in all other aspects except this sleep mode resume problem. I think this six year old platform is just enough too different to ever work perfectly.

Think I'll take a short nap!   [:-)

Thank you all again for your time, suggestions and helpfulness.

T'care,

Mike

May 14th, 2013 08:00

Drivers man, you need updated drivers, get some in the dell drivers site or use some tool to update the drivers like radarsync...

82 Posts

May 15th, 2013 06:00

Hi Juliano,

I've tried Dell's driver site many times. The problem there is that they usually offer only drivers that were relative to the E510 in it's manufactured state [2006-2007 or so]. Windows 7 is two full operating systems beyond what the E510 was built with. So I do understand their position on going off into the stratosphere regarding this. Heck, Vista wasn't even released yet. The E510 was sorta Dell's version of one of their "builders" back then. Otherwise I probably would not have installed W7 in it at all.  

I will take a peek at radarsync and check some reviews on it though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Rdunnill,

I did check the event log and there is quite a bit in there. I didn't notice a specific device mentioned but maybe just a failure type would mean something to you. I can send you a few details if you want. Otherwise I'll wait and see how your W7 install goes in your E510 sibling. Please let me [and us] know?

Thanks all,

Mike

No Events found!