rdunnill
5 Osmium

Re: Possible E510 and Windows 7 compatibility problem?

Jump to solution

I will.

Regarding drivers, Intel's driver site is the place to look for the latest chipset drivers. I take it you don't have any third-party devices installed?

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

Jump to solution

I just finished updating the 5150 (same model as E510) I mentioned earlier, doubling the memory to 2gb, adding an SSD as a boot drive, upgrading the BIOS to the latest version and installing Windows 7 Professional x64. The relative, who bought the machine new back in 2006, is excited and says it's like having a new PC. It boots in seconds, pops in and out of sleep in seconds, and shuts down in seconds; the lags that plague it when booting XP from the 7200-RPM spindle drive are gone.

All the Windows 7 drivers apart from the old PCI modem, including Sigmatel onboard audio, installed automatically.

I'm not sure why your E510 isn't working properly, but it's not a flaw inherent to the machine or Windows 7. These machines will work very, very well with Windows 7 with the right mods. FYI the 120gb Samsung 840 SSD, Silverstone bracket and cables came to $129 with tax.

0 Kudos
322buick
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Rdunnill,

Thanks so much for reporting back and the wealth of info to think about. I recall mentioning on many posts back, that mine has this same sleep/resume problem with my Vista drive also. Well, I just hooked up my XP Pro drive to study it and guess what? It lags also when coming out of standby. So, it's definitely related to only MY E510. I've got an idea. I'll post back hopefully today or tomorrow. ASAP for sure.

T'care,

Mike

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

Jump to solution

If you have any extra hardware, try removing it. It may be a device driver that's causing the lag.

0 Kudos
322buick
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi Rdunnill,

Well, I've been working away on this.

Every device plugged into this Desktop is now disconnected; even the speakers. I swiped my wife's wireless mouse from her laptop so I could still navigate. Even disconnected the keyboard after the password was in. That 3-5 minute sleep/resume lag was still there.

I read somewhere that memory modules that are even mildly incompatible could be a cause. So out came both of my one year old Kingston sticks 4gb [2x2gb]. Then I installed four brand new 1gb sticks [4x1gb "Hyundai Electronics" modules listed specifically for this machine]. Lucky m., Of course it still made no difference in the "lag" at all.

With either brand/set of modules, the BIOS showed all the sticks as up and working with 4gb installed." Computer properties" shows the same. They do however show only 3.25gb of available memory. This is with a 64 bit OS and 64 bit CPU. The BIOS has the latest flash of A07 and the latest intel chipset update has also been done. Maybe this is just normal.

One oddity though. I downloaded SIW, and in "memory summary" it shows two big, red, warning shields. One reads "Wrong/incomplete values reported by BIOS". The other reads "Maximum capacity 1024 Mbytes [Wrong Value]". "Available memory 3327 Mbytes DDR2 [PC2-5300] DIMM". I also always noticed this with my Kingston sticks in there. When I removed one Kingston stick, leaving it with 2gb, the warning still remained. So I've always just blown it off. It seems unlikely to be a cause of this "lag" anyway?

So that's all I got. Maybe I'm just <Admin note: Substitute character removed as per TOU>

T'care,

Mike

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Dual booting XP and 7 is the issue or an incompatible device like USB printer/hub/etc.

Install the 7 Drive stand alone.  I have a 5150 with windows 7 pro and its fine.  I would also DISABLE hibernation since this is the cause of some issues and if it has 4 gigs of ram then disable the page file as well.

You haven't enumerated all the hardware involved or what the crash is specifically.

There are Zero Issues with the 5150.  Incompatible ram is possible.  Are all the ram modules the same vendor and speed?

How to disable and re-enable hibernation on a misbehaving computer that is ...

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

View solution in original post

322buick
2 Iron

Jump to solution

SpeedStep,

Thank you!! It is fixed!!

It was the other HD. I removed the connectors from the Vista drive [I had just swapped it with the XP drive] and all is now well. I have been turning those HD's on and off at the BIOS all along; SATA 0 and SATA 1. When one was set to on, the other was set to off.. I assumed that if the BIOS was in fact turning the drive off, then it would be indeed be completely off. Surprise [:-(

Now looking back to a month or two ago, I should have put two and two together. I was wiping the Windows 7 drive "one more time" to start over clean again. I suddenly noticed after 1/2 hour or so, that it was also wiping my perfect XP drive at the same time. I got so mad about it, that my brain failed to connect the dots to my original "resume from sleep" problem.

Sure is nice to finally put this problem to bed.

Thank you soooo much.

T'care,

Mike

P.S. those Ram Modules are identical. Same lot and model numbers. The serial numbers practically match too [:-)

0 Kudos
322buick
2 Iron

Jump to solution

RDUNNILL & SpeedStep,

This E510 is really working great now. You were right. The E510/5150 with Windows 7 is a great combination together. Thanks for helping me through this. I would not have had ANY chance of fixing this without you guys!!

Very appreciatively,

Mike

0 Kudos
322buick
2 Iron

RE: Possible E510 and Windows 7 compatibility problem?

Jump to solution

LONG OVERDUE UPDATE - SORRY

The major culprit here was my having two HD's hooked up [one W-7 and one Vista] and using the BIOS to turn them on and off. The one turned off is still not totally turned off so they still "back-feed" some which caused a multitude of problems. Disconnecting the HD at the connectors was the only total fix.

The only incompatibility problem with using W-7 in an E510 is that you must use only the power button to bring it out of sleep mode. No matter how you have set your mouse and keyboard settings, if you use them to come out of sleep, all of your mouse functions will be wacky. Only rebooting or logging off will stop it.
So, with just a click of the power button, life is again good.

So I went from absolutely despising Windows 7 to totally loving it. No flaws and works perfectly.

Thank you for any and all help I receive from this great Dell community.

T'care,

Mike

0 Kudos