Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2009 09:00

Power LED blinks amber, system does not power on

I  have a Dimension E510. For a while now, the power LED has occasionally blinked amber and would not power on the system. Until today, I could solve it by temporarily unplugging USB stuff in the back. Now nothing fixes it. I just plugged in an Audigy2 ZS (sound card and front chasis box with ins/outs/MIDI, etc) and gave the system a compressed-air cleaning, and it was after this that the blinking amber LED problem became permanent.

I just called tech support twice. On the first call, the genius on the other end kept asking me to describe the problem and to tell him what I saw on the monitor. He insisted there must be something on the monitor despite being told repeatedly that the computer does not power on. I hung up on him and called back to ask for a manager, who had a brain, but since my warranty expired, they wanted to charge me $50 (in taxes. ?). Money is tight so, erm, no.

I'm hoping there's something I can do myself, although I have a feeling I'll have to take it somewhere to get it fixed. I at least want to know what the problem is so I can avoid getting ripped off. I know enough to know it's not the power supply and is probably a faulty power switch, or something between the switch and the PSU not seated right (although I've re-seated everything on the MoBo).

4 Posts

January 9th, 2009 10:00

Here's the deal:

I replaced the CMOS battery. First time, it started up, had to run the BIOS setup. After that, it went back to its old problem. The only way I can bypass this problem is to use the machine without a CMOS battery.

4 Posts

Here's the deal:

I replaced the CMOS battery. First time, it started up, had to run the BIOS setup. After that, it went back to its old problem. The only way I can bypass this problem is to use the machine without a CMOS battery.

57 Posts

Hi audiodef,

The blinking amber light, does that happen when you system is running and then is idle for a while? When you come back to it, your power button is flashing amber and moving the mouse or tapping the key board doesn't rouse it? Or does  it happen when you shut down and try to power back up.

I had a problem with mine where it wasn't waking from sleep/hibernate and eventually had to change my power options to not sleep or hibernate.

If that is not the case, then maybe undoing your sound card and doing a system restore back to before you made the changes might help.

I am just a novice computer user, and I'm not sure what OS you are running, but I have been able to find more help on www.vistax64.com

Good luck

Peppurr

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 9th, 2009 13:00

audiodef

A blinking amber power LED can indicate a failing power supply, or motherboard and as the power supply costs less, that would be the first part to replace.

5150/E510 systems do not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can install most generic ATX power supplies with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and 2 SATA power connectors. 

As the 5150/E510 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used and can be purchased from most local or online computer stores.

What is the sequence of the diagnostic LEDs at the front panel of the case? Dell's E510/5150 diagnostic guide and troubleshooter is HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

THIS is Dell's solution to the Dimension 5150/E510 Blinking Amber LED [No power or No post] problem.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 9th, 2009 19:00

audiodef

Pleased to hear that replacing the power supply fixed the problem.

Have a great weekend.

Bev.

4 Posts

January 9th, 2009 19:00

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I've replaced the PSU.

Unfortunately, barring an act of goodwill from Dell, I won't be buying Dell any more. They deleted my original post in this thread (and good money is on their deleting this post) because I said "***" and "flapping". Those exact words. And also because I criticized Dell. I like their products, but if you can't take a little citicism, don't get into the business. I just don't think I should encourage such puerile behavior by continuing to patronize a business that behaves like a controlling ninny (I will miss out on great hardware, but as they're not the only game in town, they've got to cater to the customers to bring them in).

Anyway, I just wanted to thank other members for replying. With the new PSU, everything works great!

1 Message

January 19th, 2009 11:00

Hi everyone...

I actually have 2 identical 5150's and switched the power supplies.  That didn't change anything.  Then I unplugged the front USB, etc...  from the MB.  I then popped out the CMOS battery and it works!  If the battery goes back in, nothing.  What do you think???

Thanks

Mike

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 10:00

Sounds like the battery is dead.  Did you try a new one?

13 Posts

March 27th, 2009 08:00

I am having a similar problem where my Dell Dimension 5150 would show the flashing amber light and would not boot up. But on occasions it would boot up as normal.

For me I've isolated the problem down to the ethernet port.

You can read more here:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/18835915/19455734.aspx#19455734

January 12th, 2010 01:00

But what is causing the motherboard to fail is the real question???  What is it on the motherboard of these units thats actually faulting?  If I knew that then perhaps I could fix it. 

dw

2 Posts

January 12th, 2010 02:00

Is it possible that it is just a dead/defective CMOS battery?

January 12th, 2010 06:00

I have 2 DELL SX280s. Exact same components. When my problem first occured I started switching components from one to the other one component at a time. EVen unplugged the CMOS battery from the broken unit. 

All components worked fine in the good unit. Nothing I did changed the result. I event took out the CPU and turned the unit on to see if the motherboard would detect it missing, I got a number of beeps. So clearly he motherboard is still working.  The same happened when I took out the memory dimms and turned it on. 

Clearly there are some misinterpreted resolutions posted throughout this forum regarding this issue. I do not think one single component or accessory actually solves this problem unless there are multiple cmoponents faulting at the same time.

But as I posted today in my own thread, the SX280 I have that started this problem was working fine, it turned off by itself and started the Amber Light from Hell syndrome. 

I have an idea that will get DELL to pay attention.  When ever you want to take on a major corporation you simply have to write a book. 

Someone should have everyone in this entire forum (and others) email their interview and compile it together into a book.  Publishers love controversy; it's what sells.  

I bet after the first day that thing hits the market DELL will start to listen to people complaining about their PCs.  The book should be titled "The Amber Light from Hell".

No Events found!