Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2011 10:00

Power Supply Update?

Hi,

I tried to install a ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ700 700W into my XPS 9000 and it would not boot. This PSU was bought and installed into my old XPS 420 and has worked perfectly for over a year. The 9000's PSU worked fine in the 420. Anyone have an idea why this is happening.

The reason I want to swap is so I can update my GTX260 for a GTX570 and I need more oomph.

Thanks in advance.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 19th, 2011 13:00

Because ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ700 700W ATX12V  IS one of those companies that puts Numbers on the power supply that are not real.  If you are VERY lucky you haven't fried each and every component on your system.

Try and Antec HCG 620W or better.

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371048

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 10:00

Corsair TX750V2  IS   ATX 12V v2.31; EPS 12V v2.92

Load Range +3.3V@30A; +5V@30A; +12V1@60A; -12V@0.8A; +5VSB@3A

so if its not counterfeit then it should be no issue at all.

Safety Standards UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TuV, CCC, C-tick

Graphics Connector 4 x 6+2-pin  aka its SLI certified for 2 cards that use 2X pcie power connectors.

11 Posts

December 28th, 2011 09:00

I installed the PSU and video card with zero difficulties. If I had more money I would have opted for a modular PSU design but I was able to easily wire-tie up and stow away the unused connectors/cables. Also, the GPU gets pretty hot (~75C) using default driver's fan control so I installed MSI Afterburner and all is well. GPU never gets above 60 C now. So anyone worried like I was that an upgrade like this won't work in an XPS9000, fear no more.

11 Posts

December 19th, 2011 12:00

Bump. Anyone? Anyone? Buell?

11 Posts

December 19th, 2011 13:00

Thanks for the reply. No it didn't hurt anything, system is up and running great still. That was some time ago I did the swap but now I'm ready to do the upgrade for sure.

What do you think of Corsair TX750V2? It's not modular but looks like it can push the power and it's rated for i7.

www.hardwaresecrets.com/.../1

11 Posts

December 21st, 2011 17:00

I bought the Corsair mentioned above. It has great reviews and there should be no reason it won't work. I also bought the eVGA GTX570 HD for my enjoyment. eVGA says a 35A +12V is required to power the card and the Corsair fits the bill.

11 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 12:00

Thanks. Counterfeit? I had no idea that went on with things like a PSU. Whodathunkit?

No, I received my new Corsair PSU yesterday and I highly doubt it is counterfeit. It was fun opening it up. Nicely packaged and it looks extremely well made. I just hope that my eVGA card gets here today so I can install it. I feel like a kid at Christmas again! Will report back here in the next few days my results, that way others with an XPS 9000 can hit on it with a search. There is not a lot of info out there on this Dell model that I can find. That is to say that not many have gone the upgrade path with it apparently. I am going to get the most bang for the buck from mine. I have the i7 975 Extreme processor which is certainly no slouch. I plan to buy an ASUS Sabertooth X58 mobo after my warranty runs out this March, and perhaps a second GTX 570 HD to go SLI. Then my upgrade path will be complete. I should be good for a couple of more years anyway.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 12:00

I was not Joking about that.

It says the same thing here

www.corsair.com/.../warranty

http://www.corsair.com/support/warranty/

Exclusions

This warranty does not cover problems or damage resulting from, but not limited to, any of the following:

• Wear and tear associated with normal use
  • Any modification, abuse, accident, disassembly, misapplication, or unauthorized repair
  • Removal of any manufacturer label(s) or sticker(s)
  • Any improper operation, including any use not in accordance with any supplied product instructions
  • Connection to any improper voltage supply
  • Use of consumables, such as replacement batteries, not supplied by Corsair, except where such restriction is prohibited by applicable local law
  • Any other cause which does not relate to a product defect in materials or workmanship

Also excluded from this warranty are counterfeit products; that is, products that Corsair, at its sole discretion, determines were not manufactured by Corsair or any of its authorized manufacturing partners.

While its EASY to tell fakes its hard to get vendors that sold you the fakes to make good when the BAD FAKE PSU eats every single piece of your computer making it into a smoking pile of junk.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 16:00

Or the customer was a victim of counterfeiting.

11 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 16:00

I wasn't doubting you, I just never considered a PSU as being subject to counterfeiting. Memory an CPUs yes, PSUs? Never crossed my mind.

I'm pretty sure Corsair made this one. I have a 5 year warranty on it per the website and if it fails within 30 days, Amazon will send a new one.

One thing that does bother me is that one customer left feedback somewhere that the fan ran at full throttle all the time. That is not right - per Corsair, the fan is PWM and should idle down. I think either that customer had a bad unit or he had a serious problem in his system. Anyway, I should be receiving my eVGA vid card today and I will post here my results, good or bad.

Thanks for your replies SpeedStep.

February 9th, 2013 16:00

Sorry for bumping a old thread. Could anyone explain the steps to install a PSU in XPS 420?

1. The user manual (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/parts.htm#wp1472790) appears to be less detailed than necessary. I believe that I have to remove the Processor Airflow Shroud Assembly, before I can remove the PSU. Is anything else that I should remove as well?

2. Does the metal release tab at the bottom of the power supply unit prevent the installation of longer PSU?

3. The user manual does not mention the P4 cable of the PSU. How many pin does it have, and what is it connected to?

Thank you for your advice.

No Events found!