Highlighted
AtomiCapricorn
1 Nickel

Power Up Issue

I have a Dell XPS X8700-2812BLK desktop. This evening I ran an iTunes update, and left the house for about an hour. When I came back, the computer had powered itself down, and wouldn't power back up. It still won't, and it's been a few hours.

I have tried a different power cord in a known good power outlet, and have removed all peripherals. When I hold down the black button on the back of the case, the green LED lights and stays on as long as the button is held down, as do the fans. There is also an amber LED on the motherboard that is staying lit even if the power cord is disconnected. Any suggestions are appreciated...

0 Kudos
21 Replies
7- Thorium

RE: Power Up Issue

Try this, first:

Disconnect power cord from rear of PC and press/hold power button for ~30 sec. The motherboard LED will go off. Now reconnect cord to rear of PC and see if it boots now.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
AtomiCapricorn
1 Nickel

Yep, tried that last night. Still nothing. Thanks for your reply!!

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

If you're using a power strip, surge protector or UPS, disconnect those and connect PC directly to the wall outlet.

Try clearing BIOS next: Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open case and remove motherboard battery. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. While you're in there, check to make sure all cable connections are secure on the motherboard and drives and use some canned air to clean out the dust. Reinstall the battery (might be good time for a fresh one), close up and see if it boots now.

If that doesn't help, it may be a failed power supply...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
AtomiCapricorn
1 Nickel

Thanks again, RoHe. I tried a different cable and went directly to a wall outlet last night to no avail. When I get home from work, I'll try thto BIOS battery. I already checked the connections, blew out the dust, and checked the button on the back of the case. Nothing...

0 Kudos
AtomiCapricorn
1 Nickel

Well, none of that worked so I'm gonna guess that it's the PSU or the motherboard. Bummer.

0 Kudos
AtomiCapricorn
1 Nickel

Additional question: can I get a replacement PSU locally, or does Dell use a proprietary PSU?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Not a proprietary PSU in the XPS 8700, but if the warranty hasn't expired, contact Dell Tech Support about replacing the PSU.

Some PSU suggestions for the XPS 8700 in the post by Dan-H on 4-4-17 in this thread:

en.community.dell.com/.../20009061

There are others that should fit too.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
AtomiCapricorn
1 Nickel

RoHe, thanks again. I went and bought a PSU, and... Nothing. At this point, I'm guessing motherboard. Bummer. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!!

0 Kudos
AtomiCapricorn
1 Nickel

Forgot to mention that this computer was purchased exactly two years and four months ago. I'm pretty sure that the warranty is long done by now.

0 Kudos