Highlighted
mike.franky
1 Copper

Power button flashes orange every time I restart

Hi,

I have a Precision Tower 7910 desktop. Every time I try to restart (or power off and on), the power button starts flashing an orange colour. Following suggestions from previous posts, I took the CMOS battery, and held the power button for 15 seconds. When I insert the battery the computer works perfectly until the next restart where I have to repeat to same procedure. The computer works fine even if I leave it on for a month (assuming no restarts). 

Can anyone suggest any solutions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

RE: Power button flashes orange every time I restart

Most of the Precision Tower documents state this =

What are the diagnostic LEDs during the restart failure?

0 Kudos
mike.franky
1 Copper

Hi Chris and thanks for your response.

The LED blinks amber. According to the diagnostic LEDs this means it is a power supply issue. However, if that was the case, the computer wouldn't be able to boot and stay turned on for for so long. Do you have any idea what it might be?

0 Kudos

Unknown. I was just going off of the documentation. Does the power supply itself have a diagnostic button on it?

* Look at the back of the power supply for a black button and an LED
* Press and hold the black button in
* If the LED stays green, the power supply has passed

0 Kudos
mike.franky
1 Copper

Hi Chris.

Yes. The LED stays green. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos

Not the power supply, not sure what device could be causing this restart issue.

0 Kudos
mike.franky
1 Copper

Hi again,

A quick recap of the problem: When I restart my PC (or turn it off and on), the boot process hangs and the power button flashes an orange colour. If I unplug the computer, take out the CMOS battery, and hold the power button for ten seconds, then the PC will start again. Once it starts it gives me a list of options including to press F5 to run diagnostics. After I press F5 it restarts normally. However, I have to repeat this exact process every time it reboots.

The problem above was actually fixed by a Windows update (I am using dual boot with Windows 10 and Ubuntu). However, recently, the problem came back again. I assume this means it is a software issue? Any ideas as to what it might be and how to resolve it?

Something that I noticed is that, both times, the problem occurred during periods where I was running intensive parallel computations using MPI. Furthermore, when this problem starts, the computer will often freeze when running applications using mpi. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this may be?

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike

0 Kudos