Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2014 09:00

Power on/Reset Pins on motherboard?

I have put my XPS8700 in a new case and I need to connect all the switches from the front panel, the pins aren't labeled how ever,  I managed to get the power switch on by just plugging and guessing but I have had no luck with the power LED, the power LED+, and the reset switch. Any help is greatly appreciated!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

What is a multimeter and where might I obtain one? After that what do I do with it?

Bgordy2013

How to Use a Multimeter:

Where to buy a MultiMeter:

Bev.

459 Posts

Notes:
1. Some cases with PLED+ and PLED- separated (1 space apart), don't try to connect if your case only has a PLED connector where both are next to each other (but you will be fine since your - and + are separated)
2. Note that some boards say IDE instead of HDD but it's the same thing and will work with any harddrive)
3. Some of the speaker 4-pins are separated from the front panel part, but generally the layout is always power LED on top and HDD LED on bottom followed by power/ground and reset/ground
4. Usually the case connector with the white writing faces up for power LED, all others connect with the word side face down (triangle side usually connects to the corresponding ground).
5. If it doesn't work then just reverse them and try turning on again.

459 Posts

Hope this helps not a multimeter.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Bgordy2013

Dell engineering  has never published the pinouts of their motherboards and front panel connectors.

You could try using a multimeter to check the pinouts.

Bev.

2 Posts

What is a multimeter and where might I obtain one? After that what do I do with it?

No Events found!