Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

December 31st, 2017 18:00

Power saving mode

Hi All,

My Dell Precision T3600, running Windows 10 pro frequently goes into power saving mode in middle of use, the only way to out is to manually shut down and reboot. I  ran a diagnostic test and got the following feedback "Msg: hard Drive - No hard Drive detected, or disk controller not supported" otherwise everything else came back Ok.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

Nat

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 1st, 2018 08:00

This sounds like one possibility is CPU heat.

Did you run the on-line Dell tests or some other tests?

First suggestion is to make sure the PC is in an area that allows good (cool) air flow.  If the air flow is restricted or hot then heat problems can develop.

Second suggestion download and run one of the free CPU temperature monitors.  The free Speccy is suggested as it will also show temps other than the CPU if the temp monitoring points are available.

If there is heat problems the next step is to open the case and clean out the dust in the CPU cooler assembly and other case fans (or have it done by your tech).  If you do it yourself be careful around the CPU cooler that you don't accidentally loosen the CPU cooler from the CPU or you will have to replace the thermal paste (the thermal paste could even be a problem if its overheating).

Link to Speccy:

www.piriform.com/speccy

Another monitor, CPU Temp

www.techpowerup.com/.../

3 Posts

January 1st, 2018 17:00

Thank you Fireberd,

I downloaded Speccy and as you said, it is showing my graphics is running really hot, in the 95 C range.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2018 03:00

Check the video card that is installed.  If there is a fan on it, check to see if its working.  Could just be dust clogging things up.  But also check case fans and clean out any dust as they too can be part of the problem.

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2018 17:00

Fireberd thanxs again. The graphics fan works and I cleaned it out, but its still running hot. I think I will attempt to redo the thermal paste.

No Events found!