Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2015 21:00

Power supply not turning on

Hi,

I'm working on my parents' Dell Studio Desktop D540.

The system isn't powering on just by pressing front button and seems like it's not getting standby power.

• The standby power (+5VSB) is fine from the power supply.
  • The system will power up if PS_ON is held low (shorted to ground). (Power button is amber.)
  • Once PS_ON is held low, the system will boot successfully once the front power button is pressed. (Power button goes white and system starts.)

So:

• The power supply is fine
  •  The front button works
  • At least most of the motherboard works (boots successfully and works fine once on)

The problem appears to just be related to the soft power button circuitry. My questions:

• Is the circuitry that pulls PS_ON low on the motherboard?
  • Is there a fuse or other method of resetting this circuitry?

Thanks.

10 Posts

July 19th, 2015 11:00

Replaced motherboard. System works fine.

Thanks for your help, though.

Regarding the system version, the support page says "Studio Desktop D540 (Late 2008)" when using the service tag. The manual says "Dell Studio 540."

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 9th, 2015 21:00

melds

Is the power supply light, a blinking amber, or a solid amber?

Bev.

10 Posts

July 9th, 2015 22:00

Hi, Bev,

Thanks for responding.

The LED on the front is dark initially. Once I ground the PS_ON pin, it's a solid amber. After I press the button, it goes white.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 10th, 2015 06:00

melds

I'm a bit confused about your computer model 'Dell Studio Desktop D540', I cannot find this model listed, Dell made a Studio 540 Mini Tower, would this be your parent's computer?

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_desktop/studio-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

The Dell troubleshooter is here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_desktop/studio-desktop_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Are there any 'Beeps'?

If there are, please post the number of beeps.

Regards to:

Is the circuitry that pulls PS_ON low on the motherboard?

I believe it is.

Is there a fuse or other method of resetting this circuitry?

No, there are no fuzes.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 10th, 2015 07:00

Hi, Bev,

Thanks for responding.

The LED on the front is dark initially. Once I ground the PS_ON pin, it's a solid amber. After I press the button, it goes white.

melds

Sorry, to say, but this does sound like a power supply issue, personally I would try installing a 'Known' working PSU to see if this makes a difference.

Unfortunately, while a person can make an informed diagnosis, sometimes computer troubleshooting, due to the complexity of components, is diagnostics by substitution.

If you have the Dell Studio [540] Mini Tower and not the 540s Slimline version, this PC can use most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Check out the Corsair/Cooler Master brands of power supplies.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 19th, 2015 12:00

melds

Please to hear the issue is resolved.

Bev.

No Events found!